Is this game controller Windows compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A friend bought a Logitech game controller, got it home, and realized it says "Mac" all over the package (how he missed all the Mac logos is beyond me LOL ). However, the Logitech web site for this controller doesn't mention Mac anywhere (at least that I noticed in about 10 seconds of looking around at this link). The controller he has is a bit than the one pictured at the link I just posted, the directional thumb pad on the left looks different, but is otherwise identical. It's brand new and still sealed so he doesn't want to unwrap it and lose the possibility of a return. It was only $20 so it's not a big deal, but I just now plugged a Mac keyboard in to a WinXP PC and it worked perfectly, so I'm thinking this controller will work also.... any ideas? Suggestions?

(I couldn't find an actual model number on the packaging, but I did see where it says "DUAL ACTN CNTRLR")

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Does the controller have a USB connector. If so, I'm sure Windows will be able to recognize it.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is the part number PN 963292-0403 ?
    If so, the specs say: Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, Windows® Me, Windows® XP, Windows® Vista™, Windows® 7

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

All Logitech controllers work on Windows, as far as I know anyway.

5. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I agree with Mimsy and abekl, most USB stuff made nowdays is pretty much universally compatible with recent operating systems.

Personally, I like a good solid original PS2 controller with a USB adapter. All other USB game controllers just feel like cheap imitations.

6. Mimsy

I use a 360 controller for my PC games. Fully plug-and-play on Windows, all drivers auto-install, and game developers know that Microsoft makes and supports that controller so most of them add support for that one in their games these days. Very handy. :)

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It is a USB controller, but it does not mention Windows anyplace on the packaging; the part number is "DUAL ACTN CNTRLR 940-000079" (at least it says this above the bar code, the bar code numbers are 0 97855 05296 4; I somehow missed seeing the number above the bar code when I first posted :-o ). The controller was cheap -about $18.99 I think- so it's really not a big deal... I had an old Mac keyboard from 2001 and I plugged it into an XP PC and it picked it up right away and it works great, so I'm pretty sure this controller will work too.... I guess we'll simply have to try it and see! ;)

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I found the same model number at SuperBiz and it says there that it's both Mac and Windows compatible; and it's the same controller my friend has, I can tell by the left thumb controller, it the same on his controller as it is at the SuperBiz site, but the Logitech site shows a controller with a different looking left thumb pad... strange that it doesn't say anything about Windows on the packaging.... :confused

9. Mimsy

If you click on "Specifications" on the page you linked to in your first post, you'll see Windows 98 all the way through to Windows 7 listed under the System Requirements. ;)

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, but that isn't the same controller being discussed.... the part# or model# is VERY different. In post #8 I found the same controller online and it seems to be Win compatible according to the info at SuperBiz (link in post #8).... I think we'll just have to un-wrap it, plug it in, and see what happens! ;)

11. Mimsy

Fine, look here then. :p Or if that's not it, here.

12. plodr

Mimsy's 2nd link is the same part number I posted in #3 so we know that is not the controller you are currently asking about.

13. Mimsy

I know... but it looks similar, and the part number SuperBiz lists is not on the Logitech website at all.

I still stand by my initial statement though: If it was made by Logitech it works in Windows. :)

14. plodr

So unwrap it already and let us know. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds