Is this Pagefile Setting OK Please?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Dec 27, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I think that's what it's called, "PageFile" - correct? Or "Virtual Memory"? Same thing??

Is the "MAX" setting (attached) okay, please?

Thanks in advance,
    g...

Attached Files:

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

83537 megabytes = 81.4 gigabytes? That's a lot of pagefile.:eek

I wouldn't set it any higher than my total memory. If you have a monstrous server with that much memory, never mind.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you very much...so if I have 3 gigs of RAM, set it at, what, "3000 MB", or is that "30,000 MB", please?

4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

3072MB = 3GB which should be more than enough.

This computer(with 2GB of ram installed) has been on for 2 days now and is currently using 97MB of page file and has used a max of 209MB of page file. As a general rule of thumb, the more ram that is installed lessons the amount of page file used. I have the page file size set at 2GB and I don't think I've ever seen it use more than roughly 500MB of that.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Beautiful - thanks...I gues Microsoft (and some others) recommend "1.5 times" as much as is installed, but you're saying, if I have 3GB of RAM, 3000 MB of Pagefile is plenty sufficient, correct?

Now, is that for the initial amount AND the Max amount, please? In other words, 3000 Initial, and 3000 Max? Or should I go with the "16MB Initial" that my system calls for, and 3000 max?

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

There has been much controversy over this topic. To be honest you would probably be just as well off letting windows handle the pagefile. In my case I set the initial and the max to the same size. I've just been to lazy to go back and reduce the size from 2GB to something a little more reasonable.

The advantage of setting a large initial and max size to be the same is the pagefile won't fragment(supposedly) and that's been the case for me.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I just let Windows handle it. The only change I made from the default is moving the pagefile from the system drive to a seldom used backup. It supposedly offers a performance advantage but since I don't use a lot of it (116MB out of 4GB) I don't see much difference. I imagine if I had less RAM and was hitting the pagefile more, it would.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you both again...I have previously allowed the system to handle/manage it, but it seems it MIS-handled it once (please don't ask for specifics, as I will surely not recall from a yr or two ago).

If memory serves, I recall something being rather contradictory, such as, in the "system-managed" operation, it was recommending one amount, and yet actually setting the other amount lower - or something along those lines......?

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Which Windows is that Vista or Win7?

If its either of them let Windows manage the pagefile, and especially if ist Win7 as the app that manages the PF is much better than the one that came with XP.

But give this article a read HERE as its by a well respected software architect and this HERE from the Perf Team at MSFT

Personally I let the system manage it.

10. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hello David, and thank you...I started this thread based-on my Vista machine, but was (am) considering it for the XP machine as well.

I'm going to look at the articles now, and yes, I am leaning (again) toward allowing Windows to handle this task - thanks!

11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

12. Lims

Lims Private E-2

if you have >= 4GB you can disable Page file at all. So Windows wiill work faster and games will load fatser (I plaiyng shooters only). My windows wokrs wo pagefile 4 years.
    And I never seen - smth like there is not enough memory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds