is this power supply compatible with my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnny815, Apr 27, 2008.

1. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

For 20 dollars you arent likely to find a name brand psu. Don't know that brand so reliability is unknown. Save up and get a name brand psu.

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

you have to watch out. some companies (ie - dell, hp) are proprietary, meaning that other stuff might not fit properly. just recently i had to replace a p/s on a compaq presario desktop (i've replace other hp/compaqs - 2 out of 3 were ok). well, i thought i was all good (for this unit), although after i checked it out later on (not right away), the p/s was upside done (from what i needed). i wound up marking the holes, and taking the p/s apart (which voids most warranties), drilling holes and resassembling the p/s. you might be able to find #'s on your p/s, and cross reference them? anyway, g/l - sos

fyi, i had tried compusa, fry's, bestbuy, and wound up going to a local shop for these p/s, as they were the only one that had it locally.

4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Private E-2

I doubt you will need a power supply upgrade to run a x1650. I'm running an x1650 pro in my HT PC on a 230w power supply. The gateway 507GR has a pci-e slot so the PSU should be sufficient to power an older mid-range card like the x1650.

5. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

are you sure? i emailed sapphire and they said liek a 400-450 watt power supply

6. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Private E-2

Just try the card with your current PSU. If the system starts freezing up or crashing during gaming you can replace the psu if needed. I really doubt you will have any problems unless your running a lot of additional devices like multiple hard drives that are drawing a lot of power. Like I said, I've been running a x1650 pro in a micro atx case on a cheap, tiny 230w PSU for over a year in my home theater pc with no problems. The 1650 really doesn't draw all that much power.

7. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

ok i will order a new psu if i need one. i haerd thhose video cards run hot so ima buy a pci fan with it too hopefully my psu can handle it all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds