Is this the right forum to ask about laptops/notebooks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weavingjoy, Aug 24, 2006.

1. weavingjoy

weavingjoy Private E-2

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum.

Is this the right forum to ask about laptops/notebooks?
    If not where should I post this question?

If it is, I am completely in the dark about them. We are trying to get my daughter a laptop for college. If we end up able to do this, what I am I looking for? What makes it "good". What is the difference between a laptop and a notebook? It is worth a bit more money to make sure it has...? It is not worth paying more to get...? :confused: Any info would be helpful and appreciated. Sorry, I am amazingly uneducated on the subject. Melissa

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

A few considerations .....what will the child be majoring in? If she is doing graphic arts ....probably want a mac.
    If it is business, probably want a pc.....the school may also have some guidelines for you or they may have a lease option for students. Some actually give them laptops.
    We can help further if we know some of the above.

Did you post your printer problem in software yet?:) :)

(View the thread in the lounge under free computers for ....)

3. padams

padams First Sergeant

In addition to TimW's post, i thought i would try to help explain some things. I have never really heard of a difference between a laptop and a notebook. I'm pretty sure it's just another way of saying it. Don't hold that to me cause like i said i'm not sure. When you go to buy a new pc whether, it's a laptop or a desktop, you don't need to buy anitvirus or antispyware apps from the person who's trying to sell it to you. All of the protection software you need for the pc can be obtained here at major geeks and they're free apps. when you get it just let us know and we'll get it secure for you. Like TimW said we can't really suggest anything until you can give us a little more info. Also if you give us a price range, we'd be happy to see what we could find for you. Hope this helps.

4. weavingjoy

weavingjoy Private E-2

Hi Tim, no I haven't gotten to the printer problem yet. She is going to community college, which makes it cheap enough that the pell grant and SC needs based grant cover her costs. She will have a little left over to put towards a laptop, about $500.00 or so. It is close to home, only about 11 miles, so she lives here. We will have to ask an advisor if they can give us any info that could be helpful in the way of getting a laptop. She is taking the university transfer associates in arts program, it's only a 2 year school. She is interested in majoring in art and minoring in business, but that isn't offered where she is now, that will be for the school she transfers to. She has been talking about getting into architecture, because she is concerned about making a living with an art major. She has had enough of this low income stuff. :) If anything good has come of my income level, it has at least motivated my children to do better. Does that help some? Melissa

5. weavingjoy

weavingjoy Private E-2

As for the price range, well I don't know, as I said she will have abot $500.00 or so, but she has nothing on her credit and could make payments on a balance after that. I don't want to limit price too much and have it limit her getting what she needs, but I don't want her to spend a ton and get a bunch of bells and whistles that she doesn't need either. We need to make it as financially reasonable/practical as possible. When I have looked at laptops I have read all the stuff that says how many MB's or GB's of this and that etc.. and don't know how to interpret that as far as what makes it a good deal, and what is just fluff that sounds good. Melissa

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If new ....Toshiba makes sturdy laptops ....look for a minimum of 512 mg's of ram (more is better, but cheaper to buy seperately and install yourself) ..laptops will usually have a 60 - 80 gig hard drive (way plenty for most uses.)
    Best buy had a toshiba that I got for my daughter @ $700 with a $200 rebate ...for myself, a gateway (smaller than the toshiba ....) for under $450 ...very adequate for my needs.
    Just make sure they take all the preloaded crap off it before you leave and that you get an install disc.
    (P.S.) still looking for an outlet that might have refurbished in your area.:)

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Best wishes in your choice of laptop, weavingjoy.:) ;)
    For free (and great) software must haves, don't forget to visit MG's own "Must Have Free downloads", and select as they advise, from each category. (new update today). :cool:
    Visit http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20 and make your choices. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds