is this vid card any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scroogle, May 31, 2004.

1. scroogle

scroogle Private E-2

I've recently bought an nVidia GeForce4 MX 4000, before the whole revolution of the ATI cards being released. i just wanted to know wheter of not my card is still good enough of should i upgrade when the x800 comes out cos itll probably be cheaper right?

2. scroogle

scroogle Private E-2

btw, my specs are : Pentium 2.8Ghz, 1gig DDR-RAM(3200) and thats about all thats necessary

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That video card is almost as low end as it gets.

Say what?

4. Fat Tech

Fat Tech Private E-2

It can still run Half-Life 2 smoothly at................
    800 x 600 at 16-bit color!!! Bwhahahahahaaaa!!!

5. scroogle

scroogle Private E-2

lol i just ran aquamark and got a 15,000 CPU score, follwed by a 708 GFX score. i always knew my card was good, just not THAT good.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That card is going to stumble over most of today's games.

Its not even supported in Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Not telling you the card sucks, just that its not going to cut it for much longer.

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, MX wasn't the best thing ever in the first place. It can play some new games (just about ....) but like adryn said, looks like you'll need to upgrade quite soon if you wanna play games coming out in the near future.

And i agree once the next gen of video cards comes out hopefully prices will drop as they will be pushing the latest cards onto the market.

8. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Yeah, the GeForce4 MX was a sad, sad joke on all of us. Gogo overclocked GF2!

However, I'd avoid next gen vid cards (wither ATI's X800 or nVidia's 6800) for some time. I don't plan on getting that generation of cards until PCI Express has hit. If it were me, I'd go with a 9800 Pro/XT, or a 9600 Pro if I were more budget conscious.

9. acejones

acejones A Different Title

i'm looking to get a 9800 pro...but i'm going to wait a few more weeks to let the prices go down. anyone need a 9200 non-SE?

10. redderthanafeut

redderthanafeut Private E-2

I'll take the 9200 off your hands :D If you're really getting rid of it PM me please

11. acejones

acejones A Different Title

pm sent

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds