Is wireless connection to modem fast enough for 3D gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shallow_Grave, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Shallow_Grave

Shallow_Grave Private E-2

Am building a new PC and am considering using wireless to connect it to the socket in the next room. In other words PC in room 1 and cable socket and Modem in the next room. I have a 600 kbit connection. But will this create significant lags or greatly reduce my 3D online gaming performance? Should I just find the drill and bore a hole in the wall? CHeers, SG.

2. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

if you going to be doing 3d gaming i say grab the googles and start destroying some drywall! no wireless connection can transfer faster than your wired cable connection.

eric

3. Shallow_Grave

Shallow_Grave Private E-2

Yeah, I thought so, but thanks for the confirmation. Damn.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Max that your cable ISP can put out currently is 10mbs.. and you don't even get that much. Wireless B is 11mbs and G is 54mbs.. so you'll be fine from pc to internet. Where wireless cuts you short in a home environment is network speed between pc's.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds