ISA Modem Reinstalling Problem on a Compaq Presario 4784

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jg10404, Jul 18, 2004.

1. jg10404

jg10404 Private E-2

I have reloaded a Compaq Presario 4784 with WIN98SE, but I can't get the ISA modem to work. I have reinstalled the driver (on COM1 because it was the on COM port listed) and device manager says it is working propery. When I go to control panel, modems, then select the diagnostics tab then click on "More Info", I get the following:

I get a blue screen that displays, "This application's attempt to use the PortDriver associated with COM1 has failed because the PortDriver is busy or does not exist." I press enter. The computer then attempts to communicate with the modem and I get the following message, "The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an external modem or is connected, make sure the interrupt for the port is properly set."

Any suggestions?

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Been a few years, but I used to have to fix that type problem several times. Every time I reinstalled 95 or 98.

First, if I remember correctly, you need to install another COM port. Probably COM2. You have to do this from the control panel-add devices. Or something similar. Can't remember 98, too long ago.:(

Then you can assign that to your modem.

Good luck.:)

3. acejones

acejones A Different Title

that is correct. i did troubleshooting with Creative Labs modems a while back, and com3 or com4 was the easiest port to use, b/c usually com1 and com2 were instaleld.

btw, com3 uses irq4 and com4 uses irq3...if you need to change those you can.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds