ISO-rookie needs a hand

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marti82, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Marti82

Marti82 Corporal

I can't see the trees through the forest anymore, far too many programs to pick.

I am a total rookie when it comes to ISO files, but am willing to learn to anew 'world' as is anyway.
    I downloaded an game ISO, and am trying to figure out a program that is easy to use and easy to understand. I tried Daemontool years ago, but it ended in an disaster and I gave up (somehow my Windows got wrecked, after a complete reinstall of Windows it worked properly again).

Is there an easy to use, easy to understand program you can advice a rookie?

Thank you, in advance :)

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Assuming you are using Win 7 or later and that your computer has a DVD drive that can burn discs then you don't need a program. Just insert a blank DVD-RW disc and right click the downloaded ISO file and click Burn disc image.

3. Marti82

Marti82 Corporal

Tried EasyImg to burn the ISO, turns out the file to burn is actually 8 GB - won't fit.

Forgot to mention I still run XP.

4. Earthling

That file has to be burnt to a dual layer DVD and your burner has to have DL capability. As it's an old system that's probably not the case.

5. Marti82

Marti82 Corporal

I need a new burner anyway, this one requires some firm words in order to open the darn tray to begin with. Hm.. Guess I'm quite stuck then, when it comes to burning.

If I can get it mounted with a program that I understand, I'm a happy camper.. gamer, in this case, already. There are just so many programs that I don't know what would be best suited for me.

6. Earthling

I've used Virtual CloneDrive in the past but I'm not really into gaming or watching DVDs so I have no idea whether it can handle DL formats But at least it's dead easy to use, unlike Daemon Tools of days long gone ;)

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. Marti82

Marti82 Corporal

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You cannot burn an 8 GB ISO to a 4.7 GB DVD. You'll have to invest in a Dual-Layer/Double-Layer DVD Writer. They can cost as little as $20. Ensure it supports Windows XP if you're going to continue using it.

Whether you use Alcohol 52%, Virtual CloneDrive, or any other Virtual Drive, all you do is right-click the drive, click mount, and navigate to the ISO file.

Marti82 likes this.
  10. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

I remember a few months back when I was new to the ISO world - this forum helped me immensely to get over the fear factor. I eliminated the use of a CD/DVD burner need on my laptop with the use of USB storage drives, networking, and mounting software.

I used my Desktop tower and its CD/DVD burners to make ISO images of various software that I wanted on my laptop. In other words I put the program software CD/DVD into the CD/DVD burner on my desktop tower. Then I have a few programs that are capable of creating an ISO of the software in the burner. Then I used my peer to peer networking setup I have at home to transfer the ISO file to my laptop via my network. I also put a few ISO's onto a USB thumb drive and placed the thumb drive into my laptop. Then I simply used a mounting software to install the ISO software onto my laptop. Works slicker than a whistle!!!! Major happy. :):major:)

I also have this article saved under my "ISO Files_Mounting_Virtual Drives" Firefox bookmarks. I have used both Pismo and Virtual Clone Drive. I will quite possibly not ever go back to burners in a laptop. The ISO method is VERY cool.

Hope the article helps you get past your possible fear factor.

Article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2011/04/19/how-to-extract-the-contents-from-an-iso-file-without-burning-the-iso-to-disc.aspx

Dekade

Marti82 likes this.
  11. Marti82

Marti82 Corporal

Eep, sorry for forgetting to reply - real life got in the way quite badly (calmer now).

I ended up buying the original, ISo mounting failed as well for some odd reason.
    Still have Alcohol on my machine - in case I need it.

Thank you, for your support guys / girls!!

12. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds