issue too complex for a subject

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Randominity, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Randominity

Randominity Private E-2

I have been on a long ordeal that started with malware, and ended up with (aparently) some motherboard issues.

i could tell you a long string of events, but lets cut to the chase for now.

I am attempting to install vista, and am being told that i need drivers for my cd/dvd drive (WHILE IM USING THE DRIVE TO RUN SETUP)

i know there isnt any issues with the drive, or any reason for it to need any other drivers as evidenced by the fact i used it to boot, and am using it with my linux installation at the moment.

ive done some poking around at other forums and found a few suggestions that i dont know how to put into practice

• IDE CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION
    • ASSIGNING CD/DVD DRIVE TO SLAVE
    • SOMETHING ABOUT SATA PORTS???

attached is a description of my hardware courtesy "hardware lister"

Attached Files:

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Reading through your system specs, I came across:
    -cdrom
    description: DVD-RAM writer
    product: CDDVDW TS-H653R
    vendor: TSSTcorp

Googling TSSTcorp, I found that it relates to Toshiba
    One link is http://www.softwaredriverdownload.com/category/companies/tsstcorp

Googling CDDVDW TS-H653R, I came across lots of links for this device and drivers.

I suggest that you Google both Vendor and Product (as per above) and I think you will be able to track down the correct Vista driver (even though your CD/DVD still works, MS doesn't think so).

If you still can't solve your dilemma, come back here and I am sure that a proper Hardware Geek will be able to help.

Bazza

3. Randominity

Randominity Private E-2

after reviewing, as you suggested... the only software available for download is: firmware upgrades (which are not required for interacting with the device, rather to make it more useful) and dos/windows 3 drivers...
    the reason for this is that all other versions of windows have built in support for these drivers, and they are not necessary to have available for download - which further confirms my suspicion that its not actually a dvd driver issue....

any of those "proper Hardware Geek"s wanna weigh in?
    this is baffling.

4. Randominity

Randominity Private E-2

UPDATE:

even though the paradoxical comedy of it almost killed me, I tried manually inputting the cd/dvd drivers from the setup dvd... this was futile, but it revealed more information...

THE HDD is not being recognized by setup, instead, it displays C:/ as a nondescript removable disk.

same for the cd/dvd drive... (even though its running from it? go figure)

The setup program says its running from Drive X... which doesnt exist.

and, funny enough... It recognised my USB stick, knew its brand even...

--------------------
    this is all very odd. obviously my computer is aware that i have a hard drive and a cd/dvd drive, or i wouldn't be able to boot Linux or vista setup... and in linux, i can see all... so what is up vista's rear end?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds