Issue with MG windows XP Cleaning procedure..

Discussion in 'Software' started by yhmada, Mar 1, 2009.

1. yhmada

yhmada Private E-2

Hi,
    I was performing the Windows XP Cleaning Procedure (post http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313)
    But It failed on running the combofix software;due to AVG 8.0 could not be stopped and combofix requires to do so.
    I reboot and tried to unistall the software:
    when trying to uninstall AVG I get the following message,

Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
    Error 0x80070005

The original problem was that windows is slow when booting up (about 6 minutes) this problem began about 1 month ago, I have uninstalled itunes because it loads up a lot of memory but it hasn't improved a bit since uninstall. So I was going for the general performance maintenance but it get stuck there, the previous software checked have not found anything except Malaware found 9 registry Keys Infected; 1 Registry Value Infected; and one file infected (all related to popcaploader.dll ); that were fixed with the same software.

I have a sony vaio VGN FS742/ w
    Windows XP
    1.73 GHz
    1.99 Ram
    Im using about 48% of space of my HD.

2. yhmada

yhmada Private E-2

Please help, if you could provide any help it would be great, now the computer is even slower then it was before.

thanks

Yanet HM.

3. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

How about using Revo to uninstall AVG

Then run Ccleaner to make sure it's gone
    Reboot now try combo fix

4. yhmada

yhmada Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for your answer.

I tried Revo but when trying to uninstall the application I got the same error message, I'm not sure I should go on with the following Revo uninstall following steps since I have got the installation failed message in the previous steps.

5. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

6. yhmada

yhmada Private E-2

Hi,

thank you all for your answers, I finally could get through with uninstalling the AVG 8.0.
    I found a batch file from grisoft site that help me (http://www.grisoft.it/download/tools/set_permissions.zip )

I will get through with the cleaning up process today when I finish my work day..
    I will post results if I keep having trouble with the laptop.
    Thanks all for your support.

Yanet HM

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds