Issue with the MS Taskbar Icons

Discussion in 'Software' started by arcueil_1, Sep 26, 2011.

1. arcueil_1

arcueil_1 Private E-2

I recently de-installed RegistryBooster via Revo Uninstaller Pro but the taskbar's icons and notifications options still give me the choice of showing or hiding RegistryBooster on the taskbar.

This is strange in view that RegistryBooster seems to be completely gone. The only registry entries pertaining to RB are in Compatibility Assistant\Persisted and DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication. I don't think that these have anything to do with the taskbar, but I may be wrong. I also don't think that these have any impact on the system (I think that they are little more than a record).

How do I go about removing RB from the list of choices in the taskbar?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What version of windows? Are the icons in the Quick Launch (left) or the Notification area (right, near clock) of the Taskbar?

3. arcueil_1

arcueil_1 Private E-2

Thanx for the response. W7-64HP and it's on the right side, near the clock. Before W7, it was called the System Tray. Maybe it still is, but Notification Area seems to be more commonly used these days.

Anyhow, if I go to "customize" after I click the little arrow, the dialogue still lists RB as something that I can show or hide. The problem is that the program was thoroughly de-installed, unless the registry entries I mentioned earlier have anything to do with it (but I doubt that). Any ideas on how to remove RB from the list?

4. plodr

I'll do some searching. I do run win 7 Home premium too but I'm very inexperienced with it. I'll stumble around and see if I can figure something out.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You could try running CCleaner's Registry cleaner. It may not make any difference but no harm in trying it.

6. plodr

I found something
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/clear-customize-notifications-tray-items-windows-7-vista-xp/
    I can verify that I have the keys IconStreams and PastIconStreams at this location
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ TrayNotify
    My advice is that before you delete the above two keys, click File and export the registry key. That way, if it goes horribly wrong and icons that you want have been removed from the list, you can click the exported registry key and go back to the way it was.

Truthfully, I'd probably just select hide icon and notification from the list. That might change if I end up in a year's time having a lot of items I do not want in the list.

7. techsent

techsent Corporal

it reads like Revo Uninstaller Pro was unable to properly uninstall RB. reinstall RB and then go to control panel/programs and features and uninstall RB from the list.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds