Issues with computer not starting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kslogic, Aug 4, 2010.

1. kslogic

kslogic Private E-2

So long story short -

Shipped my computer cross-country, received it and turned it on - computer wouldn't start because the CPU was too hot. Turns out the heatsink broke off..anyways, I got a new one.

Installed new heatsink today, turned on computer, but... the fans turned on briefly and then turned off. The power was on on the motherboard, but basically nothing else worked.

So, I took out the CPU (thinking it might be fried), and alas, the fans fired up and kept moving (all of the other components showed power too) But, I received no beeps from the motherboard indicating any problems.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I am trying to narrow it down, but it seems like the CPU might be fried. Thanks for your help.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Did you use thermal paste when installing the new HSF?
    Or was there a pad type?
    Did you clean ALL the old residue from the CPU before installing?

3. kslogic

kslogic Private E-2

It was a pad type, but TBH I didn't clean any of the old residue off. Yeah, dumb, I know, just didn't think it was that important. So this whole problem could be fixed if I clean off all the old residue and apply some new paste? Or is my CPU toast? Thanks

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sounds like nothing to lose, everything to gain by cleaning (very important) all residue and installing a fresh new coat.
    An even thin layer is all.
    Too much is as bad as none at all.

5. kslogic

kslogic Private E-2

thanks, will give it a try.

6. kslogic

kslogic Private E-2

well, didn't work. The fans spin for a couple of seconds and then stop. Would the fact that the computer won't even get to the initial boot stage mean the problem has to do with the motherboard? It is pretty much the only thing I mucked around with when I installed the heatsink.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds