Issues With Excite.com's cookies?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hardrive, Apr 8, 2005.

1. hardrive

hardrive Private First Class

I have SpywareBlaster which enables protection against Excite.com by disabling their cookies. When protection is enabled against Excite.com, I cannot log in to my Excite.com email account. I have to go into SpywareBlaster and disable protection against Excite.com's cookies to be able to go into my Excite.com email account. SpywareBlaster doesn't do this with the Yahoo.com site even though I do have an email account there. What I would like to know is: Are there any issues with Excite.com and tracking cookies or anything?

2. jowolf359

jowolf359 Private E-2

I had the same thing happen when I had Excite and tried to logon with spybot on the PC. I think there are some known spyware and addware cookies trying to load at the same time as Excites. I still go to that site now and then, but I go in Firefox, have had no problem in Firefox of openning anything in Excite. If you have Firefox, try it in that, if not there is a link to Firefox 1.0.2 in majorgeeks. Hope this helps!

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hardrive, where exactly is Excite listed in Spyware Blaster?

It's not listed in my copy, not in Restricted Sites list or the Internet Explorer list.

It's 5.30 A.M here so I may have missed it but I checked twice and can't see a reference to Excite, then visited the site and checked again and no listing?

4. hardrive

It's in the Internet Explorer list. And you may know this already, but you have to scroll past all the "Active X" type on your list until you get to the "Cookies" type to get to Excite.com. Once you get to the "Cookies" type on your list, Excite.com is listed alphabetically.

I kind of think what jowolf359 said about spyware and addware cookies trying to load along with Excite's is true. Also, because of Excite.com's incessant use of pop-up ads when using their email, I've always been a little bit suspicious that their site may be using spyware. Also, Insomniac, maybe the reason why you can't find Excite in your SpywareBlaster IE list is because you may not have an Excite email account.

By the way, that would mean that when I disable protection against Excite's cookies so that I can use my Excite.com email account, I am making my computer vulnerable to Excite's possible spyware and addware cookies. :(

P.S. Also, I know that the Foxfire/Mozilla browser is suppose to be safer and (better?) than IE's, however, I've tried Foxfire before and I just seem to like MicroSoft's product better. :) BTW, what exactly are addware cookies? :confused:

5. Insomniac

If it's listed in Spyware Blaster then uncheck it, then make sure that in Internet Explorer and/or FireFox that your Privacy Settings are set to reject third-party cookies etc.

I don't use Excite so I can't offer any experience, nor have I tried the above.

6. killian_sh

killian_sh Private E-2

Third party cookies have to be activated to log into Excite.

7. Insomniac

I don't use it as I said but if that's the case then I would use another provider.

If you can't access it using the default medium Privacy setting in Internet Explorer then I wouldn't bother with them.

8. killian_sh

killian_sh Private E-2

I agree.I used it until I learned that I needed to disable third party cookies for safe web browsing,after that,I drop it.

9. hardrive

Well, maybe it might be better if I discontinued my Excite.com email account. Also, killian_sh, that's an interesting avatar that you have. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe I read that Insomniac uses Internet Explorer. I'm wondering if there's been a discussion here where some people prefer IE or Foxfire/Mozilla. The owner of the shop where I bought my present computer from, told me that he prefers IE over Foxfire.

10. Insomniac

I prefer Internet Explorer only because it has a few things that FireFox doesn't, however, I would only recommend it for experienced users and those with good security, otherwise you would be better off with FireFox as it's targeted much less.

I've also been using it for years so I'm very comfortable with it.

You can always run two browsers, and you still need Internet Explorer for Micro$$oft products like the Malicious Software Removal Tool etc.

There are several threads about who uses what and why.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds