Issues with MB Temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrianBakerOrlando, Apr 27, 2006.

1. BrianBakerOrlando

BrianBakerOrlando Private First Class

im no rocket scientist..but i do believe 50C Idle for the Motherboard temp is pretty high...What gives? and what should i check...

2. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

for the mobo yes... for the cpu yes... generally you want to stay just under 50C

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You have water cooling but how about air flow/cooling to compliment. Even with CPU and GPU cooled via H2O there would still be heat being generated by capacitors, Vid Card RAM etc.

Have you got a decent front inlet and rear or top exhaust?

Here is a mod I found for the top of the Vid Card ((VC)bit ghetto) but lowered system environment temps and exhausted heat, often the VC RAM is overlooked in cooling management:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=271

Last I read you were considering H2O block on north bridge and I assume you have south bridge considred so all I can I think off is good overall thru flow.

4. BrianBakerOrlando

My temps have never been this high,and i havnt done anything else to the inside to cause heat issues my motherboard temp was always lower than my CPU!!! I have 120mm intake 120mm exaust and an additional 80mm@2500RPMS Pulling air in on the side right onto the MB..the northbridge is still extremely hot added a new HS and fan and chucked the original factory HS..tHERMAL PASTE is good and the connection is tight but most of my heat is coming from the northbridge once again,I cant touch it,it BURNS,and i dont mean WOW its hot i mean left my finger on it for about 2 seconds and WOW wasnt coming outta my mouth it was more like GOD DAMN MOTHER F***ER OUCH!!! Why is it so hot i havnt done anything..if anything these issues came up with heat when i upgraded to a very good Power Supply 550w OCZ MODSTREAM 40A Rail....any siggestions would be great,,

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

6. BrianBakerOrlando

ok upgraded the northbridge heatsink and placed a fan with it.BUT now i opened another can of works..I did everything i was suppose to(everything the directions told me) everything was good for about 30 minutes,then all of a sudden i hear a click sound in my PC..Looked inside and what do you know the heatsink fell off and one of the clips were pulled off the motherboard(i have clips,not holes).I tried putting the clip back in the motherboard(knowing it wouldnt stay) and it didnt.The clips slides right out.now i only have 1 clip thats secure,and it will not hold the heatsink firmly on the motherboard without the second clip..What do i do now? id go to thermal tape,but i highlet doubt it will hold this Cooler Master Blue Ice2,im pretty sure in time the weight of it will pull off of the NB and suggestions?

My CPU currently reads 33C and my Motherboard temp is 50c (the temps are not backwards,33c is the actual temp of the CPU i have a thermal Probe under the chip..And my inside case temp reads 29c in the dront near hard drives,and 27c near the motherboard diode on the bottom left of my motherboard.

7. ej25lvr

ej25lvr Private First Class

i have that exact same nb cooler you are using and it pulled the hooks out of my mother board too. it fell on top of my vid card but i was lucky it didnt short something out. i wouldnt recomend this but what i did since i had no other way to keep it mounted was i reapplied some as5 and i had to use the white octagon thing thats mounts on the heatsink base per what the instructions said. so i laid my pc on its side and very lightly applied super glue to the white octagon piece and carefully set it on the nb. the i set a plastic bottle cap in the center of the heatsink on top and placed a medium sized book to keep pressure on it. i let it sit to cure for a few hours and its stayed in place ever since. ive had to change the fan on mine which as you know goes inside the heat sink and it was a real pain. i was worried it might come off but it didnt. it worked for me and you might not like this route but it worked which is why i mentioned it. you might want to wait for any better ideas before or if you try what i did.

8. BrianBakerOrlando

[thanks for your idea,i will keep it in mind,but i will have to do some thinking b4 my actions...if i ever wanted to remove it im pretty screwed because pulling it off would probably cause some issues.But none the less thanks for the idea..
    if anyonw else is thinking of purchasing this North Bridge cooler(cooler master blue ice 2) if you have hooks DONT BUY IT..it will pull them out...

9. ej25lvr

yea you are probably right about it causing damage if it was to be pulled off. i did mine that way only because i couldnt see having to remove it for any reason. if it does ever come off or i need it off i suppose it would my que to just move up to pci-e since agp will be gone before long. good luck.:)

10. BrianBakerOrlando

[eh dont count AGP OUT man i have a 7800GS AGP I Can hit 1.5Mhz memory and 500Mhz core still has life....but thats another subject

11. ej25lvr

im gonna hold out as long as possible. i have a 6800 gt now and it does pretty good. i want a 7800gs i just wanted to wait a while and see how many variations of it companies come out with.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds