Issues with MS Messenger

Discussion in 'Software' started by jpridetx, Oct 28, 2004.

1. jpridetx

jpridetx Private E-2

Every time I try to go to my Hotmail e-mail box using the Messenger icon in the system tray, Outlook Express pops open. I can never get to my Hotmail inbox anymore, using Messenger icon.

Also, when I try to download the latest version of Messenger from the Microsoft site, I get directed to the XP-SP2 page. Messenger will not download.

Can someone tell me what is going on here?

By the way, I scanned my computer for spyware/malware using AdAware and Spybot. AdAware found a bunch, which I deleted. Then Spybot reported nothing. So I assume I am clean.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.
    Jay

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Do you have SP2? Do u have XP?

You can download MSN Messenger 6.2 from www.download.com. :)

3. jpridetx

jpridetx Private E-2

I have XP. I have not yet DL the SP2. I saw that there are some issues connected with it, so have not yet DL.

4. Diet of Nothing

Diet of Nothing Private E-2

I think that your best option is to switch to the full featured, free, open source, IM program Gaim.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes, because as we all know, Gaim integrates with Hotmail like Messenger does.

:rolleyes:

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What version of Windows Messenger are you running?

7. jpridetx

jpridetx Private E-2

Yes, I do. Thanks for the alternative DL site.

8. jpridetx

jpridetx Private E-2

Correction - I DO have XP-SP2 installed. I forgot that I had done that.

9. jpridetx

jpridetx Private E-2

I am running Messenger v6.2.

Thanks for the suggestions about GAIM. had not heard of it before.

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Two different messengers :
    MSN Messenger
    Windows Messenger

You could just get MSN messenger.... if you have SP2 you've got the latest version of Windows Messenger there already. But you don't have MSN Messenger. MSN Messenger intergrates better with Hotmail, I think,

11. jpridetx

jpridetx Private E-2

Okay, I will check that out too! I think I have Windows Messenger. That may be the problem. But this "Gaim" program sounds good. Integrates with all the others, and its a freebie!

Thanks for the imput, goldfish.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds