Issues with PPT 03 after installing Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'Software' started by unclebean93, Apr 30, 2008.

1. unclebean93

unclebean93 Private E-2

At my church we recently did a computer upgrade. Our soundroom was one of the computers that got upgraded. Previously, we used XP & PowerPoint 03, as well as another program (SongShow Plus (through R-Technics) to display songs, scriptures, and announcement slides. We upgraded our O/S to Vista Home Premium and also upgraded our Song Show Plus but kept Microsoft PowerPoint 03 as our other computers use Microsoft Office 03.

2 Questions...My primary one is projecting an image from computer through projector onto screen. On previous computer it worked fine...now that I have switched to Vista, when I use PPT, my image is narrow and distorted...I get full top to bottom but not side to side as previous. Also, I know it's not in the display settings as I use SongShow Plus and the image is correct. Any Ideas?

Question 2...I have a compatability issue running Microsoft PowerPoint 03 & SongShow Plus at the same time. I contacted R-Technics about this issue...they say there is an issue with Vista, but, I can run SongShow Plus just fine UNTIL I display something on PPT. Previously I could run both at same time with no issue. When I need to run PPT & SongShow Plus, I close the one program I'm not using so as not to conflict.

I've contacted R-Technics & Microsoft both to no avail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. unclebean93

unclebean93 Private E-2

I'm reposting this as I'm getting desperate for help. Microsoft is not helpful nor is the computer maker....Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cry
    At my church we recently did a computer upgrade. Our soundroom was one of the computers that got upgraded. Previously, we used XP & PowerPoint 03, as well as another program (SongShow Plus (through R-Technics) to display songs, scriptures, and announcement slides. We upgraded our O/S to Vista Home Premium and also upgraded our Song Show Plus but kept Microsoft PowerPoint 03 as our other computers use Microsoft Office 03.

2 Questions...My primary one is projecting an image from computer through projector onto screen. On previous computer it worked fine...now that I have switched to Vista, when I use PPT, my image is narrow and distorted...I get full top to bottom but not side to side as previous. Also, I know it's not in the display settings as I use SongShow Plus and the image is correct. Any Ideas?

Question 2...I have a compatability issue running Microsoft PowerPoint 03 & SongShow Plus at the same time. I contacted R-Technics about this issue...they say there is an issue with Vista, but, I can run SongShow Plus just fine UNTIL I display something on PPT. Previously I could run both at same time with no issue. When I need to run PPT & SongShow Plus, I close the one program I'm not using so as not to conflict.

I've contacted R-Technics & Microsoft both to no avail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I have no clear definitive answers for you on this but a few suggestions to likely get the ball rolling.

1. Try to change the PCs screen resolution mainly lower as the projector may not cope with the setting Vista has by default, as in if your upgrade was with different hardware as well as software in Vista then the new graphic card resolution maybe higher than the projector can cope with.

2. Not used SongShow, but if they are blaming Vista then its more likely that their software is not fully compatible as yet and you will end up going around in circles with both sides blaming each other, but try this as it couldhelp in compatability if that is fault.

• A. Run SongShow in compatability mode for XP ( right click its shortcut and choose Properties > Compatability tab and tick "run this program in compatibility mode for:" in the dropdown choose XP Service pack 2 and apply )
    • B. Right click the shortcut and click Properties and Compatabilty again and tick the box at bottom "run this program as an administrator" > apply

4. unclebean93

unclebean93 Private E-2

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. Couple of things as we put our heads together on this -

I contacted Song Show Plus (R-Technics) about my issue. They say they are not fully 100% compatible with Vista yet. Although, I see no issue with SSP & Vista except for running PowerPoint 03.

The thing that really blows my mind is that if I display things through the projector from off my desktop or through SSP, I get a full screen display. But when I display through PPT I only get 2/3 screen and it's very narrow & distorted.

I forgot to add this...This is not just an upgrade from XP to Vista as I may had described. (My bad if I led to believe as such) This is a new computer with Vista Home Premium as the only O/S and never having XP on it. That being said...Should I try and follow the advice given about running SSP in XP compatibility mode or will that probably cause me another major headache?

Thank You again for your help and looking forward to, hopefully, a resolution!

5. DavidGP

Hi

Nope I understood fine that your running a clean install of Vista, the reference to compatability and XP is that you can run application in Vista that may not natively work, unless you use the compatability modes for older Windows versions.

No running SSP in compatability mode may actually make it work if its not 100% compatible with Vista, if it does not work as expected you can just turn compatabilty off.

Also do try running SSP as admin, as some applications that are again not compatible may just work as Vista has more security blocks in place for applications accessing Windows folder or registry so allowing them admin access can remove some issues.

Not got any bright ideas on the PowerPoint issue apart from my original thinking on display resolution but will have a search on this as I not come into contact with the problem of powerpoint and projector missing some of the image and I use PPT alot in work, using my Vista laptop and PPT 2007.

6. unclebean93

unclebean93 Private E-2

I've tried running SSP in XP compatablity mode...I still get same issues as I had before - either SSP won't work or the screen is way off and disfigured - different arrangement each time - after I use PPT and have SSP open at same time. No solution there.

PPT still showing about the same - full image but squished to about 2/3 of the screen instead of full screen. Fixin to start crying.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and assistance.

7. unclebean93

unclebean93 Private E-2

I am reposting this one last time. I've followed the given advice to no avail. I'm at my wits end. Looks like the only course of action to resolve this issue is to go back to XP. I really don't want to do this as I like Vista but if Vista is my problem then I guess to fix it is to get rid of it. I can't do a complete work if I have conflicts like this. Thanks again for your help!!!

8. DavidGP

Hi

Sadly I have no other thoughts for you, as I dont run SSP I would be blindly guessing at a fix other than the ones I already posted, likely one of those senarios that I would have to be infront of the PC to actively test a few things out.

One thought is as its likely the compatability issues with SSP & Vista that it maybe worth a chance testing their beta version http://www.ssplash.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx which from what I read is Vista compatible.

You getting any assistance from R-Technics on this and whats their current thoughts?

9. unclebean93

unclebean93 Private E-2

R-Technics just told me that it's a Vista issue...But for some reason, SSP (the r-technic program) works fine --- I'm thinking it's more of an XP issue now. I had a friend come check it out and he says it's an XP issue too.

I'll try running the beta version of SSP to see what it has to offer. Thanks for that lead.

Hypothetically, let's say I install a version of XP. Would I have to uninstall Vista or would XP go right over the top of Vista like any other program upgrade?

Thanks so much for working with me in this area!!!

10. DavidGP

Hi

No if you where to go XP you would have to completely erase your HD, delete partitions and recreate them then format and install XP but word of caution is that with new PCs if they are from the likes of Dell, HP, Sony etc they may have dedicated Vista hardware in which no XP drivers maybe available so you would be in worse position than you are now.

Ah now thats interesting in that its an issue with XP too so kinda rules out Vista as the culprit but adds a compatability issue with SSP and PP, so maybe you could look into the area of alternative application to SSP? ( I not up on that sort of applications as I generally just use PP direct to projector )

Not having used SSP I'm guessing now but does it have any options to change screen size? if so try that, also in PP try on a sample slideshow, change the size of the page from 4:3 to 16:9 as it may help File > Page Setup and change 8.5" X 11" to 9" X 16"

11. unclebean93

unclebean93 Private E-2

I have good news to bring. Through further playing and searching in PowerPoint, I found a setting in the "set up show" feature that let me adjust the resolution. By increasing the resolution to 1024x768 corrected both my issues. The PowerPoint screen is now the right size AND I can keep SongShow Plus open and the screen is the correctly displayed. I've never had to set the resolution on my previous computer. That's why whenever someone suggested adjusting the resolution, I always went to my display settings on the desktop.

Thank you for your help and patience as we worked through it. Hopefully this will also help someone else out.

Microsoft PowerPoint 03
    Menu on top of screen -
    Click SlideShow
    Click Setup Show
    (bottom of menu) Click Slide Show Resolution
    Thanks Again!!!:hyper:clap:dancer:celebrate

12. DavidGP

Good stuff on fix and cheers for letting me know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds