Issues -XP App Mgmt Svc./"Installer"/download Probs.

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc, Mar 27, 2007.

1. grc

grc Private E-2

Hey gang - thx for being here!

My biggest problem at the moment is, I lost my AVG (Free) AV, and now I can not get it to download!!!

Windows XP Home (2002) Firefox (latest) & IE7 browsers. On the advice/suggestion of an article/column here, I decided to try and turn some OS services from "Automatic" to "Manual" and/or "Disable" (from my WinPatrol Display Services Menu). So far, seem to be having problems with "Application Management" - I cannot get it to start again now. I changed it from "automatic" , to "manual" - when I try to reset it (to original setting), it allows me to switch the setting back, but does not start the service (message: "Local File Not Found"). I am not able to get anything to download, when I try, programs "seem" to be downloading, but at the end of the download, when I try to start them for the first time, I get an error message something to the effect of: 'Some files corrupt or improperly downloaded - re-download a fresh copy of the program and try again'.

Can anyone help please?

PS Also having trouble opening some other downloads, in that, somehow, I set (some of?) them (apparently) to go to "7-Zip", a compressed/zip file program. I have since removed this program from my PC, but it is still sending some downloads (or wanting me to "open with") this program. I also, I got rid of "Down Them All" & "T'da One Click" (Firefox add-on's), as I could not seem to figure these things out. My download issues extend into IE7, so I am thinking it has something to do with the Application Management Service (which apparently is not a Windows program?) that is 'frozen' or "hung-up" (or whatever), and I have intermittently had "Installer" errors on this PC as well ... man, am I lost or what?? confused :eek: rolleyes :cry

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi grc. Welcome to Major Geeks

Application management aka svchost

This service has a default setting of manual in both Xp home, Pro and win2K.
    This does not mean that the user can click on start to start it. It means that it can be called by a suitable program. The error message is normal if you just click on start.
    You can start it by entering suitable parameters in the parameters box, but why would you?

Why don't you use the standard Windows tool for this sort of thing, not WinPatrol...?

start>run>typein
    services.msc

I think you will have to look elsewhere for the solution to your problem. Don't change anything else, but do post all the changes you have made recently.

Studio T

3. grc

grc Private E-2

Thanks but wow, I don't know where to begin with "changes" that I've made "recently". I have been making changes for MONTHS, because I have been having problems for months. It all started about four months ago, with a power-outage that killed my modem card (dial-up), then two weeks later, another modem card failure. Finally I seem to have one that is holding, but after reloading my entire system/programs ... well, like I said - wow - I don't know where to begin about telling you all the stuff that has been going on. This is liable to cause me to give-up on computer technology - I am just worn-down from it all. All I really wish to do is: A. Have top-notch SECURITY, B. Have as much SPEED as is feasibly possible, C. Read/Write (check/send) email, Surf the internet for reference/research and the latest tech news - and, well, eventually attempt to sell some things (ebay, etc.). I don't think that is too much - or is it?? Not much into games (not yet, anyway), and music - I'll play my own (I did however spend $118 [2 year deal] for a website {a ".net" domain name} - would like to get that up and running - but don't really have a clue what to do with it?!?).

Thanks again,
    Glenn

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi there Glenn - help is what we do.

At the moment you most pressing problem seems to be inability to download, although I take it you can get web pages. I noted the rash of download problems here

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121635

Am I right in thinking that you are also confined to dial up, perhaps because of location, judging by your electricity supply problems.?

There is no point at the moment suggesting major downloads/uploads at the moment.

I really think your best bet would be another clean install to get you internet running and then we can address some of the underlying issues. Otherwise we could fiddle around with this and that quuestion for a long time over a flaky connection.

You may be aware that with some systems the modem / riser carries more than just the dial connection for the system.

Once you have reinstalled download Everest if you can. It will tell you and us lots about your system.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Otherwise start>run>typein
    dxdiag

Follow the tabs and save the reports it generates, including msinfo on the last one.

Studio T

5. grc

grc Private E-2

Hello again and Thank You again!

By a "clean install", do you mean wiping EVERYTHING out?? (Please forgive & I hope you'll be able to bear with me - I am getting to be an old 'geezer' - 47 SOON, and though I've learned a lot [I think???] there is more that I am not familiar with - 'tech-wise'). When I went through this last Nov., I had to have assistance from Dell tech-support ... and it took (takes) literally DAYS, due to slow dial-up (yes, I am in an extremely rural/mountainous area - High Speed is available - but currently cost prohibitive - usually I connect at 49.2 kbps - at best - though used to be 50.6 - I know, I know - virtually NO difference - and occasionally, even slower).

I do have all of the Dell/XP CD's that came with this PC - I am just wondering about all the XP (High Priority) updates from 2002 (which is what I had to do - since this PC was purchased in `02) - also - ALL my security would have to be located on the internet and reinstalled (or do I "simply" make a disc [would have to be put on floppy - that, again, is all I have at the moment - though perhaps I could go to the library, and use their high-speed connect. and a CD writer??] - I have numerous AntiSpy/Anti Malw. programs - seven or eight that I can think of at the moment - right-off the top of my head.

Again, I greatly appreciate the help (you just don't know!) - but I am not certain (AT ALL!) about the simplest (quickest) way to go about this. I, as you mentioned, have been fiddlin' `round for months - and still haven't got everything the way I'd like it.

Thanks again,
    Glenn ...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi again Glenn.

With limited communications it is important to convey as much information as possible each transmission.
    If you have lots of anti programs, very likely you have at lest one rogue.
    Look at the list Spyware Warrior keeps.
    At the very least properly uninstall all of them for the moment. At least one is interfering. Get the basic XP sytem running as it should , then build up add ons as you really need them.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

For dial up the risk is relatively low and you should be able to keep anti stuuf to a light touch.
    Do you have a firewall or are you running the Windows one?
    Do you have your original install file for AVG. You should be able to start form there.
    For dial up all you really need is AVG (free) and AD-Aware.

I'm pleased to hear you have all the Dell disks. Please let us know which Dell model you have.

You should have a Dell operating system disk and a Dell drivers Disk. Possibly also a Dell modm disk.

Be glas you have a Dell they are better built than most and easier to reinstall to.

Do you have anything, CD, DVD, USB, Zip, another hard drive that you can copy stuff off to? Floppies won't cut the mustard really.

As I said we can try to repair your system a bit at a time, or you can do a full install and know it is good. You can get the service pack and update files on CD free if you order them from Microsoft.

Studio T

7. grc

grc Private E-2

Ok, I have (and I know it's overkill for a dial-up, but I chose to err on the side of caution ... 'better safe than sorry'):

1. Zone Alarm Pro 6.5 Firewall (free version - it stayed "Pro" after the "Trial" period, and includes Anti-Spyware Engine v. 5.0.83) (XP firewall is "OFF").

2. WinPatrol 10.0.5 (which I really love the functionality/user-friendliness of!) - it's also the first program to alert me when I change home page, add new programs, etc.

3. SpywareBlaster (also LOVE - the 'concept' here) ~*NOTE*~ I JUST RECENTLY (about two days ago) realized that I may not have been as protected by this program as it could have provided for me - not certain if it was FULLY tweaked as it should be - though I check DAILY (sometimes several times a day if I am not getting an update result on the first or second daily try) for updates of this program, I wondered a couple of days ago if I had ever clicked on the "Protect Against Checked Items" buttons for either of the tabs (IE or Firefox - both of which I have) - I am not sure if I WAS as protected as this program would have provided for me (?).

4. SpywareGuard 2.2 (JavaCool ... though I wonder about this program as the "Definitions Date" of 1/22/04 seems out-dated - it never changes (updates) when I check (weekly, at least) the "Live Update").

5. Windows Defender (Real Time)

6. Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal (Free - updated every 3 to 5 days) with applicable (3) "add-ons"

7. Spybot S&D 1.4 (I have been having trouble with this lately: "Error retrieving update info. file, Socket error # 11004" - ? - updated weekly at least)

8. AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 (updated weekly at the minimum)

9. "HAD" AVG Free AV 7.5 until it shut-down a few (2-3) days ago - I can't seem to get ANY Free AV programs to download now - have tried three or four - to no avail. I am not certain if I have any files of it (AVG) left - decided to wipe it clean for a fresh install - but again - not able - won't take - every AV program I try ends-up saying: 'Corrupt Files' upon downloading attempt(s).

10. Have a good number of the small programs from GRC (Leak Test, Socket Lock x2, MouseTrap, Kill the Messenger (though I realize Ad-Aware fixes this problem) DCOMB, NoShare, etc, etc - all that seemed to apply to my PC/System/Connect. type).

11. Have Firefox (latest) with most of ( I think?) the usual security stuff (add-ons)- NoScript, Adblock Plus, etc.

12. IE7

13. This PC: Dell 4500S, 1.8 GHz CPU, 1.25 Gig RAM 20 Gig HD - XP Home 2002 (which is actually "dear old mom's" ... trying to make it SAFE AND functional for her - and me, when I am here) - but I have almost the exact same set-up on my (second-hand, commercial/business) PC, running 2000 Professional on it.

I am willing to do as you say, as I am sure you know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than I do - I just hope it won't be TOO painful (time-consuming) - for EITHER of us! Oh, almost forgot, I also have McAfee Site-Advisor on both PC's as well ... I "THINK" that is it (though, somewhere, buried in these systems is also the AOL Free Security Checker-Scanner-thingie - I think that is it - though I have, at various times TRIED (and removed) some others (Panda Anti-spy/Scanner) TrendMicro's Anti-spy - oh, and I think I also have CWShredder - oh, and EULAylzer, Doc-Scrubber, FileChecker, UnLocker - oh, and CCleaner AND "Clean-up" (and, believe it or not, ATF Cleaner TOO!)
    whew!!! Yeah - looks like overkill - BIGTIME - huh?

Going to go back, read your last post again, and start applying some basic stuff you suggested for me to do - Thanks again - Glenn ... Good Gosh - One last thing I should probably tell you - in my perpetual 'nuttiness', (to go along with my eternal paranoia!), I went through, in an effort to SAVE SPACE, and COMPRESSED darn near everything on this PC that could be compressed (I mean everything, files, programs, etc., I could find ... compress!!!) - thinking, in the long-run, it would be beneficial - was this a "no-no" , or what???

8. grc

grc Private E-2

Thank you for the reply - I will certainly look into it, and I think take you up on the advice of "losing" SpywareGuard, Defender and the GRC stuff (though, I really like most of the Gibson Research stuff - and the programs are so miniscule (sp? - very "SMALL") - compared to so many other programs.

Thanks again,
    Glenn ...

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Wow I hope the Dell guy was inmpressed. I am suprised you, the user, get a lookin on the internet with all those programs trying to phone home to upggrade.
    I often come across users with so much spyware that this happens to, but anti spyware!
    I think that Defender always operates on a two way comms with Microsoft, i.e. most of the intelligence is at the other end and the program has to phone home to check anything out.

Microsoft updates have become ever larger and automatic SHOULD BE TURNED OFF in your dial up case, as should all automatic updates. You can't hope to use the internet with everything clamouring to update itself. I'm afraid you have to take charge and exert order like with an unruly class.

I would suggest seting an intenet cache of about 250M, setting you browser(s) to only update on visit to a page, not automatically. Set you home page to blank, so that the browser will not try to connect as soon as you open it. this gives you valuable thinking time, saves crashes and connection charges.
    Ditto your Email client. Set it to manual dial up, to not check on start and every () minutes.

For security, the most important single step you can take is to not surf the internet whilst logged in as an administrator. Over 75% of malware (micosoft -sysinternals figures) cannot operate unless they are loaded into an administrator account. This includes all rootkits.
    Create a new administrator account and demote your existing one(s) to limited user.
    For normal purposes -using the computer- no one should log in as administrator - this shouls be reserved for administrating the computer. Even professional computer administrators have two account sfor this purpose.

Second to increase security turn off remote administration.

I still think this will prove a longer route for you than reformat, followed by clean install. this takes about one and a half hours. I usually find that you can bring the entire pc back with all programs etc installed and setting done in a weekend.

I.ve seen the Macafee thing will cause problems, and the AOL if you don't have AOL.

Studio T

10. grc

grc Private E-2

Thanks - GOOD STUFF - THX AGAIN!

Now, that said, SOME of the (common/usual) 'terminology' I can roll with "like water off a ducks back" - other things you have told me or will/may tell me runs into a brick (fortified by concrete - AND LEAD/IRON/METAL!) wall - in my cranium - so again, if possible, if/when you offer instructions, if you could give a brief/qwik 'guide' with them, it would be most appreciated (you know, such as: "Start>Internet Options>Tools> .." - whatever the case may be - thank you in advance!).

1. I have now set-up the account(s) (two) as "Limited" - and set a separate admin. account - had long wanted to do that, but thought I had to go through "Permissions" and all that "parent" and "inherited" stuff, which is rather confusing - to me - I did set-up the other PC (2000 Pro. - OS) as "password protected" logon - but it took me some time (and still not certain if it is as safe as it could be with "other users", etc. - it was a second-hand PC, so I had/has some back-tracking/re-setting-up done/needed.

2. Set the cache to 250MB (though wondering if I should go even lower??)

3. Set browser to only update upon "visit to page" (should I set to "Download but notify me before install" (?) - or is there an actual "Off" setting? And then I suppose I would just manually visit the update site(?)..

4. I "think" the only "automatic" (or "scheduled" for that matter) update (other than Windows) is the real-time Defender Anti-Spy.

5. Got rid of (at least temporarily) Spybot S&D - as it was giving error message upon update attempts.

6. Will get rid of the AOL security scanner (the few times that I did look at it/scan with it,
    it gave me an "89" rating once, and "93" another time if I recall correctly - though that probably doesn't really mean a whole heck of a lot?

Going to re-read your post again, and try to muddle-through - I think we may be able to do this without a complete "wiping" ("un-install" - I hope!?!) of EVERYTHING - I'd prefer that - however if you think it is best (and without too much aggravation) I'll do it - I am glad to hear that MS will send the updates on CD (if necessary - that would be MUCH quicker as opposed to dial-up connect. speeds.

Oh, when you say "turn off remote administration" - I think that that is already the case (?!?) - not sure though as there seems to be so many different ways to do the same (one) thing. I am sure I have deactivated (disabled) all instances of "Remote"-type control - I am sure they can be enabled when/if I ever need my ISP, or other SAFE/TRUSTED entity to TEMPORARILY "take over".

There was one other thing, don't recall at the moment what that was ... lets see ... I have heard of the "problems" with the McAfee "Site Advisor" (even had trouble once myself), but researched it a bit on the web, and think I found the solution/fix (though not recalling at the moment what that was) - seems to be working well now - and I do like it (good for mom and the kids - as it is (usually) pretty clear about what to 'click on' and what not to). If I remember the other thing I was thinking about, I'll write it down, and post it later - oh, maybe it was to tell you that I think "SpywareGuard" is perhaps a waste of time/space - overkill for me - another member here mentioned that it was "outdated" - and I had the same feeling (what do you think?) - I reckon that's it for now - THANKS AGAIN!

Glenn ...

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Account passwords are not necessary on the internet and do not provide any internet protection. They merely provide you protection from other people in your house and visitors.

Programs likely to phone home at any excuse to 'check for updates' include but the list is not exhaustive

Adobe Acrobat
    MSN Messenger
    All antivirus including AVG
    Zone alarm
    All antispyware
    Kodak camera/scanner programs
    Microsoft Office later than 2003
    Ipod / MP3 programs
    Windows Media Player
    Real Player
    Quicktime
    Hewlett Packard printer / scanner after 2004

None of these require any assistance to try to connect to any internet going. However with the best written programs you can turn the auto connection off.
    Look for options or preferences in the program concerned. With MSN messenger, turn off start when windows starts, unless you really like it, which I don't.

You will have to make these changes for all accounts separately as Windows remembers the settings for each separately.

It is just as easy to add a new user to Win2k as XP, though not as pretty. Just log on as an administrator and
    start>controlpanel>users>add

I am concerned that the ghosts of all the programs you have tried out will live on as a result of incomplete uninstallation, particularly in the registry. That is also why I suggested a new install. You could perhaps plan for it some quiet weekend in the future.

Please don't say you have tried out loads of registry cleaners as well. In particular don't go for Ccleaner, as is often advised here on major Geeks. I advise ordinary folks to only go for these tools when the ones that microsoft have provided have definitely failed. Microsoft tools may be clunky but they are more failsafe than most.

Oh yes the cache. I usually suggest for broadband to set it low (maybe 50M max) as there is really no need for a cache with broadband and the cache is just dead weight to haul around when you are doing disk housekeeping (cleanup and defragment) and also they provide somewhere for malware to hide.
    However the cache system was introduced for dial up users and you will benefit from a larger one. Just remeber to clear the cache before doing defrag.

Studio T

12. grc

grc Private E-2

Wow - looks like I still have much to learn (and in some cases - re-learn).

I agree, I believe you are correct - the best, simplest way to go about this is going to be a good, proper "wipe" (or whatever it's called) - please provide me with fairly detailed instructions on how to do so if you would be so kind - I really wish to do this right, once and for all, and then simply "maintain" (update, etc.) for the foreseeable future (at least on this [mom's] PC).

If we can keep it simple (for me), I think we can get it done sooner, rather than later - and skip-off, happily, down the Info.Super-Hwy!!!

Thanks again, and I await your next "order" First Sergeant!!!

PS - No other Reg. "cleaners", that I ever recall, other than the three that I mentioned - and ccleaner is now G-O-N-E! (well, as gone as I can make it for the moment).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK I will post the procedure, the 4500 is a stalwart machine.

Meanwhile you will need to check your resources:

1 Dell Cd marked recovery disk this disk contains the opertaing system

1 Dell Cd marked recovery disk - drivers

1 dell Cd marked drivers possibly something else.

The Windows key stuck onto the side of the pc.

The first disk contains the full Windows plus an extra Dell folder to check that you are trying to install into Dell hardware - it will not work anywhere else.

The second disk contans the drivers for the motherboard and main components.

The third disk contains contains the drivers for a variety of modems and stuff as Dell have fitted many different manufacturers modems and network cards.

You will need to check in Device Manager for the particular items you have installed.

Hold the windows key down and press pause/break
    hardware tab>device manager

Expand the modem, network, sound and video branches and note the name sof the devices listed.

Studio T

14. grc

grc Private E-2

I think I need to move asap - "something" seems wanting (if not having already occurred) to take over this machine - doing all sorts of weird things - been running w/o AV for several 3,4-5) days now.

I have at least nine (9) CD's (in addition to the five (5) "2002 Works Suite" CD's) that came from the factory (Dell4500S - you mentioned: 'Dell 4500/Stalwart' - I suppose the two (4500/4500S) are nearly the same - this is a "compact" model - very thin tower that may (was designed to) either be stood uprightly or laid on it's side).

1. One (1) Black-Label CD: "Operating System
    Reinstallation CD
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

2. Three (3) Blue-Label CD's:
    2a. "Applications
    Dell Tools CD
    For Reinstalling Dell-Installed Software"

2b. "Drivers and Utilities
    Dell Dimension ResouceCD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics,
    Utilities, and Online Documentation"

2c. "Drivers and Utilities
    For Reinstalling Conexant 56k
    Data/Fax Modem Software for
    Microsoft Windows"

3. I have (Dell sent) five (5) CD's that are "Blank", meaning, the only markings on
    them are: "CD #1" "CD#2", etc. ... "1-5".

4. -Modems = U.S. Robotics V.92 PCI Faxmodem
    -Network Adapters = ("X"=disabled) Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    -Sound, video & game controllers = Audio Codecs> Legacy Audio Drivers> Legacy Video Capture Devices> Media Control Devices> SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio> Video Codecs.

5. "Product (Windows?) Key" QVBPQ-VJ8Q4-B7FKD-JHF2T-PVTTD.

There are other numbers (quite a few), Serial No., etc. - please let me know what else is needed (if anything).

This what Dell sent us - this is what we have to work with.

I anxiously await your next instruction.

Thanks,
    grc ...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Here is a short text file on re installing windows for your Dell.

Copy it and print it out. Ask before you start if there are any questions.

StudioT

Attached Files:

16. grc

grc Private E-2

Thank you, but I DO have a number of questions 'before I start' - I actually almost don't know where to begin with the questions. I suppose my two greatest concerns are: a. what happens if I get into this, and then have questions? - If I am into (halfway or otherwise) an 'UNINSTALL', of my OS, it occurs to me that I THEN would not be able to get online (access the internet) to reach you or anyone else for that matter - to get an answer/help - get back on track? As it stands, even though this machine DEFINITELY has "issues" ("bug", of some sort - virus? -spy/ad/MALware? - P-R-O-B-L-E-M-S!) - I AM CURRENTLY able to access the internet (though I suspect the "clock is ticking" (or "may" be) on my ability/capacity to do so (?!?). And now I've forgotten the other concern - oh well ...

Question one: It occurred to me this morn. (as I was simply a bit overwhelmed last eve. at the prospect of this exercise/endeavor), that I DO (somewhere on this PC) have a set of Lavasoft 'programs' (tools?) ... add-ons (?) that are meant to remove persistent or difficult - malicious - 'problems' - three or four of them: "Look to Me Remover", "Aries" (rootkit remover?) - two or three others ... might they be of any help?? Also, (and I suppose question #2) - I have a program from "grc" "Gibson Research" ("Corp."?) - grc.com - called "fix-cih" - for viruses that supposedly can take hold on the "26th" of any month (though I think it was originally in "April" each year that this particular virus was most prevalent/would surface) ... thinking back, it was on, or about, approximately, the 26th of this month (Mar, `07) that my problems began to surface (?). When I ran this program this morn., it appeared to "recognize" a problem, but I think it cannot help me (for some technical reason it stated that I do not fully understand and would not be able to recite-back off the top of my head [would have to write it down to type it here] - I did however copy down the "chart" (DOS style/type) that it put up - I'll post it here now (though I am not certain that it will come-out [show-up] properly on the "MG" (Major Geeks) forum submission screen - properly aligned as I am about to type/set it up - but here goes):

"BIOS DRIVE" (numbered 1-8, with only #1 showing anything)
    "1"
    "MBR OKAY?"
    "Damaged"
    "BIOS DRIVE MEASUREMENTS
    CYLINDERS/HEADS/SECTORS"

"963/2/4"
    "HUGE DRIVE SUPPORT"
    "No"
    "DRIVE CAPACITY"
    "4 MEG"

Can we tell anything from this???

I am not so terribly concerned with "losing data" (most everything I have can be replaced/restored by other means - I think?) - it is the fear of losing access - PERMANENTLY - to the internet - and then having to get on the phone to some Dell tech-support person - in India, Pakistan, or wherever (having to attempt to bridge the "extra-curricular" language barriers).

Can you (or anyone) help - at all - to alleviate some of these concerns/worries/FEARS? I mean, as it stands, I will need to sit-down, and go over your text file to uninstall/reinstall, line by line, write down my questions (so that I am absolutely crystal-clear) and submit them here? I'll go ahead and start with the first question (or, more likely, the first "set" of questions - 2, 3 or 4) now, assuming that we are going to continue as planned - and then get back with the remainder on the next post. -

1. Your first instruction says; "Check that your disk 2b has the following drivers foldes [sic] (folders?) on it audio, modem, network, system, video". This may seem funny, or even ridiculous to you - but how - EXACTLY - do I "check" that? When I run that CD, will it show those right up-front (which is not my recollection of what will be obvious or clear - visually on the screen when I run the CD), or will I have to search within the CD 'links'?

2. When I "Copy the following two files from c:\windows\system32\ wpa.dbl
    wpa.bak" - where do I copy them FROM? Is this in DOS? Specifically, where do I find these "files" to copy them from?

3. And I suppose this is all for now - but when I read over the instructions, it seems to me more like I am "INSTALLING", rather than 'cleaning/wiping/formatting (RE-formatting?) ... UNINSTALLING (?). I may be thinking too much on this one - but I suppose I simply would like to know the common (usual) terminology of what it is exactly that I am doing - so that in the future, if I ever have to explain what I've done (or, Dear God forbid - do it again!!!), I'll - "know what to know" - what to think/say/do - you know, be able to intelligently communicate, with you, or someone else about it. As you may be able to (clearly) see at this point, I don't even know what it is properly or correctly referred to as - am I: "installing/uninstalling my OS"? "Cleaning", "Wiping", "Formatting/RE-Formatting"?

Lastly (but perhaps not leastly?) - I DO have "Hijack This" already (months ago) downloaded (several icons on my desktop - and "files"[?] elsewhere within the PC) on this PC - could that help??

I hope you won't give-up on me - I am not concerned with my ability/capacity to do this (follow instructions) - would just like to know EXACTLY what it is that I AM doing.

Cheers,
    Glenn ...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Put the cd in the drive and look at it with explorer.
    I was just reading off the list of folders on my copy of a dimension drivers cd

Open explorer an look at you c drive
    scroll down past the folders to the files in the right hand pane.
    These are the two file windows writes when the pc is activated. Most Dells don't have/need them but IF yours does use normal copy nad paste techniques to copy them to a floppy.

Ye sthe procedure I outlined will wipe the drive, reformat it and install Windows freshly.
    The comms problem is why I suggested to ask questions until you are happy -- that's fine.

I will be out tonight so no more time until tomorrow.

StudioT

18. grc

grc Private E-2

Thank you sir (that is, I'm supposing you are a "sir" - please don't be offended if you are not - in that case - TY ma'am).

Thanks,
    Glenn

19. grc

grc Private E-2

1. That CD ("Dell Dimension ResourceCD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities, and Online Documentation") "appears" to have everything (Audio/Network/System/Video, all) - EXCEPT - the "modem". The only thing I see about a modem there is "Modem User's Guides" - no (green?) check-mark there though, as the others have.

2. No sir, I do not see (as you mentioned that I might not) wpa.dbl, nor wpa.bak. I opened > "My Computer", selected/clicked-on > "Local Disk - C:", but did NOT see (as you mentioned) these after scrolling down the right hand pane past the folders.

3. Though a bit paranoid, I believe I can (safely) attempt the FIRST PART of the next step (check for "boot from Black CD") - though I am not going any farther (further?) than that - not sure if I can (don't believe I SHOULD!) before I complete step 2 (not going to start "set-up">"Enter">"F8">accept license">, etc. until I hear more from you).

Thx,
    g ...

20. Blueforest

Blueforest Private E-2

I'm happy to say I did it...took a little time to work through it but now I get it thank you for your help ...

21. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Blueforest, welcome to Major Geeks, and thank you for your encouragement.

Hi Glenn

Take courage we are nearly there.

I'm sorry I slightly mislead you with the wpa files. You have to navifate to the windows system32 folder to finf them if they are there.

In explorer

If you haven't already set folder options like this
    tools>folder options
    tick show hidden files
    UNtick hide file extensions for known file types
    UNtick hide protected sytem files
    Click apply>OK

click on the C drive
    Click on Windows folder click yes to show files if necessary
    click on system32 folder
    then scroll down to see if the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak are there
    copy them to floppy if they are.

If they are not, which I hope and is normal for Dell, everything will still work out fine, you will not be asked to re-activate the clean install. Whatever happens, Windows works for 30 days to give you time to activate. You just use the free telephone number that the pc give you and I have always Microsoft very helpful here. The point is you can't buy a Dell without Windows so there is no need to worry.

Do try step 3 and prove that the pc will boot from the black floppy, just press escape to back out once setup just starts, don't accept the license or anything.

If you can find a modem folder in you drivers folder on the C drive copy it somewhere.

If not, you did include a modem CD, in your list. Dell put loadsa different modems in their stuff so one Cd covers it all. You will just have to try each branch on the modem CD to get it working when it comes to the drivers, but you will be an old hand by then so it will be easy.

Don't forget you have done this before Go for it.

Studio T

22. grc

grc Private E-2

Great, thank you both (all)!

I am prepared to continue (and thanks for the update/clarification) - I must note though, however, that when I did attempt to see what the Black ("XP Home") CD would do last eve. - it seemed to do nothing (other than I could hear it load-up/run, in the "D" drive). Now, I am not certain if I needed to or should have done anything else (open/look in the "D" drive menu selection - ?), but the other CD just jumped right-up on the screen (at least came-up with a [minimized] 'icon'-? on the taskbar/system tray - as programs do when minimized) - and I was then at least able (prompted) to walk through it.

So, that said, I am going to continue to do as instructed (and look at/attempt to open the XP Home CD again) - and will get back asap!

Thanks again,
    Glenn ...

23. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Ok Glenn

Now for the scary stuff.

The black CD is what is called a bootCD. That means it can take control of your pc and run it because it contains a small operating system. If you think about it this must be so in order that a user can install windows or whatever to a virgin system.

What you need to do is to put the CD into the drive, leave it in and reboot the computer.
    When you it restarts, watch the screen, you may see a quick message
    press any key to boot from cd
    press the space bar
    this allows the CD to take charge of the computer and go to the small operating system which is called windows setup.
    Once you get to the first screen of windows setup just press escape - you have proved it works. The system will then reboot normally to your current windows from the hard drive. You haven't made any changes at this stage.

It is important to do this to show that once we have removed the current windows you can still control the computer, to install the freah copy.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds