It's about time to upgrade my motherboard, but I'm not sure if it's worth doing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pariah, Aug 22, 2008.

1. pariah

pariah Private E-2

I just bought a 1TB HD SATA. But I was too ignorant to realize it wouldn't be compatible with my ATA 133 (IDE). So now I'm faced with the problem of whether or not I should splurge fifty bucks on a SATA controller card or just upgrade my Biostar M7VIF.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7vif

If I do upgrade the board, I want to make sure I don't end up being superfluous about it since I find the system adequate as it is.

I want bottom dollar on whatever motherboard I buy, so I want something that either meets or only slightly exceeds the performance of my Biostar with the primary difference being the SATA interface. If that's not possible, I'm going for the controller.

So my question is: Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular motherboard that meets my qualifications or should I just go for the controller card?

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

finding a socket a motherboard with sata II slots will not be worth the effort(if such an animal exists)go for a controller card

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

4. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I agree with Ibbonkers. If you are satisfied with your system, go with the controller card, it'll save you some headaches in the long run. I just upgraded my son's MB with a socket 478 Biostar and though it had SATA ports on the board, it was SATA I and my HDD was a SATA II. Luckily, I had jumpers on my HDD that slowed it down to a SATA I and it's been rolling along just fine so far. However, I HAD to replace the MB because when the PSU went, it took the MB with it:cry. Luckily, it didn't take the CPU or RAM also!!:-D Good Luck, and let us know how it went!!!

5. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Okay then. That's kinda what I expected but I wanted to weigh my options. I'll go for the controller card.

Thanks.

I was going to order this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132013

Will that not work just as good?

6. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

should work fine :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds