Itunes and duplicates...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Synorbs, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Synorbs

Synorbs Private E-2

Hi, i have been trying to get rid of the thousands (literally) of duplicates in my itunes library. I have taken to deleting the playlists etc in the folders in order to get rid of the bulk of them. Searching the whole music fodler then doing it that way etc.

However now i still seem to be getting whole album duplicates, and apparently from nowhere. Having deleted the playlists etc and also turned on "view secret files" incase they had been put on secret. This resulted in finding nothing. I have checked the path for the duplicate files and it is exactly the same as the original, or other one if you will.

So i am thinking that these files might have a filelist written into the files themselves maybe. Idk to be honest. It is very annoying however as there is still about 900 duplicates, of which 200 or so are normal ones that i know about and are part of my music collection, just misread by itunes as an actual duplicate due to the file name. This leaves 700 or so unneeded files, very annoying lol.

If anyone has come across this themselves or knows of a solution i would be very grateful, thank you.

Robin.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I assume you have made sure you were in your Music library and gone to Edit > Show duplicates and then manually deleted all duplicates (being careful to make sure the file you are leaving is a working file). Deleting your playlists will not get rid of duplicate songs.

Have you tried to delete all songs from your iTunes library (NOT your hard drive) and add them back? (this is assuming you do not have the duplicates on your HD also.)

(If you wish to try this, please back up your songs on an external drive just in case.)

To remove all songs:

To do this Edit > Select All > Delete

When it asks if you are sure you want to remove the selected song from your iTunes Library, click Remove

When it asks you if you want to move it to the Trash or keep it in the iTunes folder, click Keep Files.

Make sure that under Edit > Preferences > Advanced the "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder When Adding to Library" option is unchecked

Then under File click on Add Folder to Library and navigate to your music folder. Click OK to add them back.

When done, go back and recheck Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder When Adding to Library and also make sure you have the Keep iTunes music folder organized option checked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds