iTunes - Any way to add a 'global' note or comment?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gowestwardho, Sep 14, 2009.

1. gowestwardho

gowestwardho Private E-2

Isn't there some way to add a note, tag, or comment to ALL of the songs in my iTunes? I don't want to have to do each one individually. I know I can do it using 'Rating', but since I am already using that choice for something else I need another method. What I am trying to do is 'mark' all the songs I have worked diligently through and cleaned up, so that if I haveto reload them from their folder/file I will be able to telll which ones I previously checked out. (I have songs in the harddrive folder that I no longer want, and would hate to reload those into iTunes if something gets corrupted).

Is there anything similiar to "Ratings" that can be done globally?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You can try this:

Add 'Comments' to your bar where you have 'Name, Time, Artist, Album, etc' by right clicking on it. Click on 'Comments' to make it visible.

Then go to Edit > Select All (assuming you want to do it for all songs as you stated) > File > Get info > Put a check in the box next to Comments > Add your comment which would be applied to all songs

I just tried this by creating a playlist with only two songs and it worked fine. Test it first please with only a few songs by different artists before you use it on your entire library.

3. gowestwardho

gowestwardho Private E-2

OMG!!!!! Thank You Laura! You have no idea how much time I put in to trying to find this out. This is awesome info and I thank you for the quick response and heads up.

4. LauraR

:) You are welcome.

5. gowestwardho

gowestwardho Private E-2

Do you happen to know if information I add to the COMMENTS section wil be backed up to the hardrive as well when I do that? (In other words, when I reload songs from the drive into iTunes will all my COMMENTS be intact?

6. LauraR

I tested it on two of my new songs. Added 'test' to Comments, copied them to a flash drive, added it to the library on my other computer and the info transferred, so you should be good. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds