iTunes back-up question (losing files during copy)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hair, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Hair

Hair Private E-2

I have 1710 songs in my iTunes library, and I just copied them to an external HD to back them up, but on the HD there are only 1708 songs. I tried again and got the same result.

While copying, Windows says it is making 1710 file copies. I checked all of the songs with the same name, and they all copied fine, so it's not because two files are being overwritten by same-name songs.

Anyone have any ideas? If I could at least narrow it down instead of searching 1710 files, I would be very greatful. Thanks!

2. Are you just copying the songs, or entire iTunes media folder?

3. Hair

Hair Private E-2

I am using "select all" from iTunes while showing all albums and then just using copy and paste in windows.

4. Right let's try back it up the way I did.

Go to the folder My Music -> Itunes -> Itunes media (I think it's something like that can't remember and I am at work so I can't check.

If you get stuck just search around that sort of area for a folder called Itunes media and copy that to your external HDD and see if that works :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds