Itunes freezes up, any ideas before I uninstall?

Discussion in 'Software' started by silverlake69, Sep 28, 2008.

1. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

For some reason when I work with itunes, it will work briefly and then lock up. Sometimes I can eventually continue, other times it remains frozen. I don't have the specifics with me, but I have plenty of memory and HD space, and only maybe 500 songs. I have no other problems with my computer downloading files, watching video clips etc. According to Apple, this has been going on with others, but I didn't really see any recent talk here about this. I've been told there may be some sort of conflict somewhere or too many hidden programs running at once. Is there some sort of way to check on these things or something else before I uninstall? I bought a new external harddrive and thought I could save my songs on that, uninstall and reinstall itunes, and bring the files back. Or possibly just keep the music on there to save space. I know there are posts here on doing that, but it still makes me nervous. So I'm just wondering what can be done and checked on before I go through all this to possibly resolve the issue.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Windows version you using? and is it fully upto date with all service packs and updates?

Is iTunes fully upto date with latest version? (8.0.0.35)

I have noticed this freeze on some PCs and roughly and not scientifically linked it to the security software on those machines, more so the antivirus, so do a quick test and disable your antivirus and then run iTunes.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Halo. Make sure you have the latest iTunes version installed. We installed it over a previous version of iTunes and it solved our problem. Not related to your problem, unfortunately, but it might help.

My boys have around 11.000 tunes on their iPod Classics and we use a batch file to syncro the PC laptop iTunes files to external Hard drives with no problems. It does an incremental backup and is really quick.

Bazza

4. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

If it uses an active x control check the downloaded programs folder in your Windows folder. Right click each program and choose properties to see if it is damaged, if it is delete it. If any of it runs at boot (I believe at least updater and one other does) temporarily disable it through start, run, msconfig, startup tab. If that is the fix delete the registry entry for it and check for updates manually. I believe they call these craplets. You might want to run checkdisk while you are at it .http://www.ntcompatible.com/How_to_use_checkdisk_t19642.html, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
    Checkdisk is best run from a command prompt. After that defragment the volume.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  5. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

Good news and bad news. I updated to itunes 8.0, temporarily disabled AVG antivirus, and it worked. I bought a couple songs and played songs I hadn't heard in months. My wife wanted to check email, so I re-enabled AVG, briefly checked itunes, it appeared to work and I figured the update fixed it. I had to go and pick up my other computer and reset our Network (I was previously going directly into my computer). I go to itunes and it freezes up. Said I couldn't end program and the whole unresponsive program BS. I went to AVG disabled it and tried again. Again it locked up after a few clicks of the mouse and wouldn't undo. Is there some sort of possible relationship between this or just coincidental that it's back? I guess I could bypass router and find out. I am running windows XP and I believe it is set up to update almost everytime I log off. Should I check this and how? Bugballou, could you explain in a little more detail how to do what your reccomending? I have some experience but some of that was a little over my head. Any other ideas? I was so happy this morning to be able to go through and actually use itunes again. But when it locks up like this, AGAIN, how frustrating.

6. bigbazza

What version of AVG are you using? If v8, maybe go back to v7.5.
    Opinions on v8 vary wildly.

Have you loaded and tried iTunes on your other PC/ Does it do the same thing?

Have you run iTunes as stand alone PC's, without being hooked to the network with, or without AVG? Just thinking of eliminating as many variables as prossible.

Bazza

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

I am using 8, is it safe to go back to 7.5 (less protection?) The itunes on the other computer on the network has not had this trouble, figures the kids have that one. And yes that is what I was saying, when I was running my computer alone itunes worked with and without AVG. I put the network back together and it doesn't work. Related or coincidental?

8. bigbazza

As I don't have a network, I can't give any expert advice on possible causes / solutions.
    intrigues me. Are Firewall blacklists the same on the PC giving you trouble, as the networked PC's? Maybe you are blocking access in one? I'm only guessing.

Bazza

===

9. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

Where do I find these active X programs? I went under my C drive looked under "program files" and also looked under "windows". Would it be under active x? Didn't see any thing. If I do find one how do you delete registry entry and is checkdisk under tools? Any t houghts on if the itunes issues is related to the Networking? What is the way to tell if other programs are continually running in your system? I looked at that once when I was having too many run at bootup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds