itunes help: how to stop enormous download of podcasts

Discussion in 'Software' started by unbecca, Jul 23, 2010.

1. unbecca

unbecca Private E-2

I accidentally clicked "Get All" for Radio Lab's podcasts. Is there any way to stop or discontinue this process? I don't want all these giant files on my computer, plus iTunes has been downloading for about 16 hours which is slowing my computer down to almost nothing. I've checked all dropdowns in iTunes, visited apple support and googled my question, but still haven't found any directions on this question. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. unbecca

unbecca Private E-2

I think I answered my own (dumb) question. Seems all I had to do was to close down iTunes, and this ended the download. Duh. Sorry to have wasted anybody's time.
    -- newbie and not at all a techno-geek

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do remember though when you start iTunes again it will resume the download of any podcasts you have subscribed to in the podcast list, so remove ones that you dont want, or they will always download newer ones as they become available.

4. unbecca

unbecca Private E-2

Thanks, Halo, for that reminder! Which of course didn't occur to me before.

But now here's a further question: how can I remove all these Radio Lab podcasts from the download list without first opening iTunes (in which case the downloading will resume as before)? This seems like a circular challenge. Thanks in advance!

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

You can't remove them without opening iTunes, but you can sever your internet connection (turn off the Wi-Fi switch or unplug your ethernet cable, etc.) before opening iTunes... then it obviously can't download them, and you can cancel them then (I hope).

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly no, but what you could do is disable your internet temporarily just turn off your modem until you have deleted them, but you should be able to delete them without doing this as it shouldnt take long and it wont download too much.

EDIT: snap mcsmc - great minds and all that.

7. unbecca

unbecca Private E-2

Oh, duh again. <head slap>

Thanks so much -- doing this worked beautifully, and I am FREE of the dread downloading process. I realize that my followup was yet another dumb question, but I am grateful that you took the time to help me, the clueless one, yet again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds