itunes - transferring music to new computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by rb3bm4, Jan 2, 2010.

1. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

I am trying to transfer my itunes library from an old PC to a new PC and am not having much luck. Tried to import the library which was backuped on an external hard drive and that didn't work. Tried to transfer purchases and re-create the library off the the three ipods which use the library. It worked with my older nano but not with my daughter's new ipod. On the second ipod, I got an error message saying it needed to be scaned. Tried to run the scan but it wouldn't do so. I have two miffed adolescent daughters on my case. Help!
    RB

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi...have you tried using your ipod as an external harddrive to transfer your library. This is the best way to do it since it will also keep all your playlists intact.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

3. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

Yes. I did so with my daughter's ipod. Tried to transfer purchases. However, got an error message saying the device needed to be scaned. Tried to scan but it would not scan.
    RB

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Set both PC's up on the same network

Old pc - go to itunes
    - Advanced
    -Turn on home sharing
    - Fill in required field

Then do the same on the other PC

They should then try to synchronize libraries, this may take some time depending on the size of your library!

Burrell

5. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

Two pc's are not networked. Second is replacing the first.
    RB

6. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

ah,

Then i suggest Laura's Method or if u have an external HDD, use that instead, as it will probably hold more than the ipod

Burrell

7. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

As I said in earlier post, tried cut/paste from hard drive where the music was backuped but that didn't work. Got the infrastructure (playlists, song titles, etc.) but not the song themselves.
    RB

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You do not want to 'cut/paste' in this method. Just to be clear, you followed Apple's instructions to the letter?

9. FBI

FBI Guest

just use a mem stick 4g that will work i did that to put all the songs on my laptop

10. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

Think the problem is solved. Cut/pasted the backup-ed itunes folder from the old computer to the new computer again and it seemed to work. In retrospect, the problem seemed to be that there were three accounts which were downloading into the library and the problem was different songs authorized by different accounts. The itunes architecture with three users seemed to make sense when I set it up but not any more. Some pretty good generic instructions for transfer are here:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/789495/how_to_transfer_your_itunes_library.html?cat=15
    Thanks for your help.
    RB

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds