I've burnt out something, but I don't know what!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mourndark, May 17, 2005.

1. Mourndark

Mourndark Private E-2

I have decided to upgrade my PC from 256Mb Ram (2x 128) to 512Mb. I acquired a pair of 256Mb sticks (SDRAM, 133Mhz) and inserted them. I plugged everything back in, and turned on. There was no signal to the monitor, and nothing happened on the case, except the HDD LED stayed on. I checked all my leads then tried again. This time I was treated to a loud, intermittant beeping from my motherboard speaker and a nasty smell. I tried to turn it off on the front of the case, but this did not work, so I turned it off at the mains. Upon openning the case, I was greeted with the smell of burning dust, hot plastic and ionised air. One end of one of the new Ram sticks had jumpped out of its clip, probably when I put the case on its end. I removed this, and with no signs of burning or anything on the connectors, tried to run it with only one 256 stick in. Nothing at all happened. I fear I have broken something vital somewhere, but I don't know what. I have checked everything I can (cable continuity and fuses), and have found nothing.

Does anyone know what I might have burnt out from this description?

My system:
    Celeron 766 Mhz processor
    Ram: As above
    40Gb Maxtor DiamondMax 8Plus
    XFX GeForce 4 MX440 graphics
    50x CDROM
    CDR-RW/DVD
    Windows XP SP1a

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Have you investigated to see if your motherboard accepts...

1. How many megabytes!!

2. Up to what frequency (pc66, pc100, or pc133)

A continuous beep while trying to boot, is a sign of bad, incompatable, or improperly installed memory!!

What is the make and model of the motherboard??

Roger

3. Mourndark

Mourndark Private E-2

The frequency is correct, but I can't remeber the other motherboard info atm. I'll check back later when I've got it.

Thanks!

4. Mourndark

Mourndark Private E-2

It is an AOpen MX3S. The max supported RAM is 512Mb @ 133MHz (SDRAM)

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

haveyou tried each individual module at each dimm slot one at a time, in order to rule out either a bad stick of ram or a ruined dimm slot??

Roger

6. Mourndark

Mourndark Private E-2

I've just been trying it, and I've just got it to work! Thanx guys!

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Good deal...glad you figured it out!!!!!

Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds