I've locked myself out of my own laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Feb 14, 2013.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I had not been using a password to start using my computer, but decided to set up one because of a trip ahead. Went through the process, and used a flash drive for a reset-password disk. When I tested things by logging off and shutting down, then powering back up, the screen showed up as usual--it did not ask for a password. I tried it several times with the same result.

So, this time, I clicked Lock. I get a screen asking for my password and I enter it, but I get a message saying, "The user name or password is incorrect." Above that box is the word, "Owner."

I cannot remember or find what the laptop owner's name is, or even if I made up the name or it came with the laptop.

I cannot get into the operating system, cannot get to Safe Mode, things like that. Nothing.

Help, please, and thank you!

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Can you try to log in to the original Windows 'Administrator' user? Of course you will need to know that password as well.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

When you boot up are you presented with a user account icon and password login box? If so, is Owner the only user account icon showing?

The thing is when you create a user account password you first have to select the user account the password is for. Was that name Owner or possibly something else? 'Owner' usually signifies that Windows was activated by someone else before you owned the machine and if that could be the case you could try contacting them for the password.

4. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

pwillener: I cannot log in at all.

Earthling: Yes. Owner is the only account showing. I've wracked my brain trying to remember just what I did in setting up my laptop when I got it. I think I remember seeing the word Owner, but I cannot remember in what context. I will continue to try various words on the password box. Do you know if there is a limit on number of attempts? Thanks.

5. Earthling

Hard to know exactly what you have done here but at least I can show you what Help and Support says about using your flash drive to reset your password. Hope it helps -

Attached Files:

6. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just to cover all the bases, try to login with username owner and NO password...

7. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep trying and will let you know what happens.

8. Earthling

and try both upper and lower case, though using the wrong case ought not to prevent your password reset flash drive from working :confused

9. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Well, I know what I did wrong, but don't know to fix it. I thought I had followed the instructions for creating a password disk, but in reading again how to create one, and watching the video, I realize I never got to the process outlined in the instructions. I just saved my password in a Word document and put the document on a flash drive. No wonder I get the message that "this is not a password reset disk." I've tried a whole lot of possible owner names with no luck. Please remember that I clicked the Lock button, not the Log Off button, just before shutting down. I think that must have been a huge mistake. I sure appreciate all the efforts to help me. I see there a number of commercial products out there promissing to enable a person to find a lost password. Are they any good?

10. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

11. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks. I'll try it.

12. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Well, here I am again using my laptop. I went to Best Buy and for $29.99, they wiped out my password and that allowed me to get into the OS. I don't know if I did right or not; it was a bit scary, but I took the chance. Thanks to all who tried to help me. I'll be a lot more careful from now on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds