I've tweaked something and stuffed up :) :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, May 16, 2007.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2 minor PITA, but I'd like to fix them.

1. When I click on Start-->Shutdown, in XP Pro, a box now pops up headed "Shut down Windows", instead of going straight to Shutdown.

2. When I use Ctrl-Alt-Delete, a "Windows Securtiy box" pops up, and I have to click on "Task manager", instead of going straight to Task manager.

Both problems are probably related.

I've checked out TweakUi which I normally use, but can't find anything there that I might have changed.

Hoping for help, Bazza

2. magorkiller

magorkiller Private E-2

you have xp pro right? well, those are normal things in windows xp pro. you can try tweaking programs if all else fails i have no clue thought if u don't have pro

3. bigbazza

Thanks guys. I have XP Pro. I don't think it is the BIOS as it only cropped up recently.

They were working fine from Day 1, going straight to what I want without the popups.

I've altered something I think. Will keep searching for answers.confused
    Meantime, any further suggestions are most welcome. ;) Bazza

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

This may be out in left field.
    Can you check your settings in User Accounts, Select Logon and Logoff options, Both boxes checked?

5. bigbazza

Thanks zbd21 for both answers. I already use the shortcut in SlickRun but it doesn't work for me any longer like it used to.

I will use Ctrl-Alt-Esc in future. I think all problems are related to a tip I instituted that starts up and loads your programs independent, and before, you have to put in your password, or fingerprint option in my case. Bazza

===

6. cheez314

cheez314 Private E-2

[/QUOTE]

I like it, thanks....but how do you add it to taskbar?

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  7. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

8. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I think someone else mentioned it above..... I believe that both things are related and can be changed in Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on and log off.... I'm pretty sure the setting is in there somewhere. I hope this helps.

hd2k

9. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Hopper is right Bazza

Here's what you are looking for.

[​IMG]

10. bigbazza

Thanks guys for the further replies.

@plastidust@ WIZMO link is very interesting. I will have to research it further.
    Lots of options.:D

@hopperdave2000 and BirdBath@

When I try to access User Accounts through Control Panel, I get the message
    "Client Services for Netware has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User switching.To restore these features, you must uninstall Client Services"

So it looks like my minor PITA relates to me installing the software to switch to Broadband. Looks like more research is needed. :p:p

Bazza

11. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

12. bigbazza

Boy I'm glad I've got a common problem for a change. :cool:D;):)

Thanks for that link, BirdBath. I've printed it out and will read it more thoroughly, try it, and see what happens.

I installed Broadband, but went back to dialup after my Modem / Router was damaged in transit, or shipped defective, and has been returned for replacement.
    Going from Broadband back to dialup may have something to do with it. Bazza

===

13. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

roflmao

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds