Ivy Bridge overheating and thermal paste

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tgell, Jun 19, 2012.

1. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I wasn't planning on buying an ivy bridge Core i7 3770K but I would like opinions on if you think it was a mistake for intel to use cheap thermal paste between the core and IHS? I just came across this when surfing and was kind of surprised.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=181016

2. LTLSU

LTLSU Private E-2

Ya, use the absolute best. TX-4. YOU CAN REMOVE ANY OLD STUFF WITH 90% ISOPRYL ALCOHOL AND A COFFEE FILTER!

Other known good types: TX-2, MX-4, Artic Silver 5. I may have missed a few others but TX-4 tops the charts. (I bought Artic Silver 5 myself which is about 1.5c warmer then TX-4 after an overclock. I hadn't overclocked in 5-6 yrs and AS5 "used to be" #1 back then).

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. LTLSU

LTLSU Private E-2

Thanks for that link. It might be because IB has more transistors on a smaller die, this would really heat up that smaller die. Its the very architecture that makes it harder to keep cool. If I was after a new cpu I'd opt for SB, similar performance (albeit 5% slower clock for clock) but it doesn't get as hot. SB will allow slightly higher overclocks so if you OC the performance delta is the same (at better temps).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds