Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition 5.0 RC Beta 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Sep 4, 2004.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

2. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Okay Nick two questions :) I have sunjava version 1.42-03. Why change to the beta release? And, if I do, which initials from the initial farm (i.e. JRE or JDK) to download and use for WinXP Home 32 bit?

3. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Yeah - "the initial farm" - more like the "initial wasteland" - I'm always confused when I'm at that site....

Good question, and I have the same computer system so...... :cool:

Thanks for your help, Nick, or whoever answers...

4. NICK ADSL UK

Hi bill/ pegg :) This is the version you should have on your computer. This version at the top of this thread is beta and should only be used by competent members who understand the java platforms which excludes me ;)
    You will find this version here your browser will detect if and when you are up to date and you are well advised to take this route when updating the java platform. Which is JRE By the way

http://java.com/en/index.jsp
    Then just click on GET IT NOW

Attached Files:

5. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Actually I already had J2 re 1.4.2_05 :) I had updated before.

In my C:\Program files\Java folder I have this - see below -- do I keep the other ones or delete them so all I have is 1.4.2_05? I wasn't sure when I updated.

6. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Pegg :)
    You can leave the previous versions if you like or you can check in the control panel ADD/REMOVE program's to see how many entries you have in there. If you happen to have the earlier versions listed then you could uninstall them if you like

7. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i had ...o4. i downloaded the newer version. i had two other earlier versions in add/remove so i deleted all three. i must be getting brave!!! aloha

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds