Java not able to install, windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tsavu8, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Tsavu8

Tsavu8 Private E-2

Dear Major Geeks

I downloaded and installed Picassa and it works fine except for the web albums feature. After some advice from Google I went to Java.com to update my java, however the online installation doesn't work, it just gives me a message:

"We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install Java software onto your machine.

If you encounter an error, check the top of the browser (see image above) for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: J2SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 2 from 'Sun Microsystems, Inc.'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed."

However, There is no yellow bar that appears for the AtiveX control. I have also tried the offline installation an the following message appears after the the download completes and I try to install it:

"Error 1722. There is a problem with the windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I click "OK" and the Java install window reads: "Installation failed"

I have uninstalled all Java components and still the same results!!!

I have followed all of java's FAQ tips and help, but still same results.

No that I have uninstalled Java, there are obviously plenty limits to what I am able to do!

Please can you advise as to my next move, I'm desperate!

Regards Ryan A.K.A Tsavu

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Get the Windows Installer cleanup utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    run it and see if Java is in the list; if it is, highlight it and let the cleanup utility work. It will clean up the remains left after failed installs and/or uninstalls. Then try the install again.

3. Tsavu8

Tsavu8 Private E-2

Dear Major Geeks

I have done as you suggested and run the cleanup program after having saved it to my desktop, however a Windows Script Host message appears stating the following:

Script: C:\DOCUME~1\Ryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\StartMsi.vbs
    Line: 17
    Char: 1
    Error: Permission denied
    Code: 800A0046
    Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

What does this mean and what do I do next?

Regards Ryan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds