Java Update asks for permission each start up

Discussion in 'Software' started by iron_maiden_360, Feb 12, 2011.

1. iron_maiden_360

iron_maiden_360 Private E-2

Each time I start up Windows (Vista), Java Update asks for permission to run, which gets pretty annoying..

I've been following this guide on how to disable it and schedule to run the program using Task Scheduler. However, the guide gives the location of the program as C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jucheck.exe.

I think this article is about 3 years old and some of the folder names are different now, but even when I search for jucheck.exe, no results are found.

Does anyone have any advice on where I can find the program, or how to stop Java Update asking or permission each start up?

Thanks
    Tom

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Did the advice on the Java Control Panel and unticking the auto update not work? Should be able to find the Java CPL in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin and then open the JavaCPL iconed app for the options.

Personally I delete the Java Updater reference from the startup list and you can do this via CCleaner and the Tools > Startup list.

Just note than when you manually update java for a new version you will ahve to delete the entry again as its automatically added.

What version of Java do you have installed?

3. iron_maiden_360

I have Java 6 Update 23.

Disabling the auto-update is fine. The problem I'm having is finding the application I need to run, so that I can schedule it in the Task Scheduler.

The jucheck.exe given in the article doesn't exist.

Thanks

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

On my XP Home it is located in
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update
    grab a fast search tool http://www.voidtools.com/
    I start typing the first few letters and it lists. I found this in under 5 seconds on my computer.

5. iron_maiden_360

That's where it was.

Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds