Java Virtual Machine - Cannot find main class error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ophie, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Hi there,

This past week I had a huge virus/trojan issue which Chaslang helped me solve - he was awesome.

I have a new problem now. I tried to install Azureus but got a "Java Virtual Machine error that said: Cannot Find Main Class". As part of the malaware removal, I was to remove the Java that was on my computer and replace it with the Sun Java. Maybe I did something incorrectly?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Yup that's the one.

4. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Oh and I'm using XP Home.

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

6. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Got the new Java but still get the exact same error when I try to install Azureus. "Java Virtual Machine. Cannot find main class. Program will exit."

7. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Did you successfully remove all previous versions ?

8. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Yes I did.

9. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

I found this relating to my problem but I don't know what it means :(

Your error message suggests that you have something missing or in error with the installation of the Microsoft version of the java virtual machine.

With the sun version of the java virtual machine, that type error message means the CLASSPATH environment variable is not set.

In most cases, the error means that the classpath does not point to the current directory which is denoted by "." or a period within quotes.

Setting the classpath depends on the operating system you are running with. Its pretty easy on Windows XP or 2000 Pro. You can create an environment variable called CLASSPATH and set it equal to "." in the Systems advanced settings, environment variables.

Older operating systems had an autoexec.bat file under c:\ that can be edited in Notepad, adding the single line:
    CLASSPATH=".";
    then reboot the PC.

10. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Its worth trying. Are you on xp?

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel

Double Click on System

Click on the Advanced tab

Click Environment Variables

Click New (under system variables)

Set the Name and value above, not the value is just a dot without quotes.

Apply and restart, let me know how you get on.

11. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Yeah, it didn't do anything. Grrrr. Very frustrating.

12. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

sounds to me like you have remenants of the MS virtual machine left on there, do you have any startup entries relating to java?

13. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Sorry I'm a dummy. How would I check that?

14. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

15. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Nope. Only Java related thing I see in there is the one for Sun Java version 10.

16. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

17. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Same problem.

18. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Same problem.

19. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

@ matt,

Does it use the Windows Installer? Maybe the Cleanup Utility might help? Just a guess and something different to try at this point. ;)

Steve

20. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

I'll give it a try!

21. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Thanks steve! Im kinda running out of ideas myself

Let us know how you get on ophie

22. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

23. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Nothing for Azureus. But that's not surprising since I've not successfully installed it. When I try to run the Azureus .jar is when I get the error message. I don't see any other Java related things in the list. Also, I tried to run System Restore back to a system checkpoint before I removed the microsoft Java and installed the Sun Java and it wouldn't restore to that point.

24. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Would this log help?

Attached Files:

25. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

um jar? its not a binary?

Please sho me what you have downloaded, im pretty sure the installer should be an exe

26. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

27. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

28. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Well.... that worked :) I have Azureus now and it seems to be working. I guess its .jar files that I can't execute?? Anyway, thanks so much for all your help it is MUCH APPRECIATED. You guys are the best.

Ophie

29. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

No problem! We got there in the end ;)

30. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Well done matt. :)

Steve

31. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

You helped by suggesting installer steve! I wouldn't have noticed the .Jar file if it wasn't from that!

Thank YOU!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds