javascript:openWin from IE does nothing

Discussion in 'Software' started by powells, Oct 30, 2004.

1. powells

powells Private E-2

When I click on 'links' within my IE browser that attempt to run javascript:eek:penWin (say to link to a news item from another site) nothing happens.

I've recently done a clean up my PC using Ad-Aware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Would one of these disabled the feature / content?

How do I re-enable the content; is this a browser setting?

2. powells

powells Private E-2

PS - Sorry about the emoticon; should read 'colon O'

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The default settings for Internet Explorer should work fine.

• Internet zone should be medium.
    • Local Intranet medium low.
    • Trusted Sites low.
    • Restricted Sites high.

If that fails, check that your firewall isn't blocking links.

Is it just one or two particular sites?

4. powells

powells Private E-2

Hi Insomniac,

Tried resetting the Security settings to defaults as suggested, but still no joy. Also set Privacy to Medium and turned 'Block pop-ups' off.

I'm not sure how to check the firewall. I'm running Norton Internet Security and XP SP2's 'personal firewall', but no hardware solution.

I'm having problems with links from e-mails viewed under MSN Hotmail; the openwin is accessing 65.54.187.250. I entered the address in the browser address field and it accesses an MSN search site.

The site didn't appear under blocked or restricted sites under the browser. I don't get a warning message or prompt; the browser window doesn't change but the status / message bar at the bottom says 'Done'.

Any ideas? Thanks from a fellow Sydney-sider!

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try this:

Start, run:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

Click OK.

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Click OK.

6. powells

powells Private E-2

Hi Adrynalyne,

DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded.

DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did it fix it though?

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Powells, why are you using two firewalls?

Get rid of XP's built in firewall and just use Norton's.

There are no advantages in using both, and it can cause problems.

If you haven't found a solution yet, try temporarily disabling your firewall and see if the problem still occurs.

9. powells

powells Private E-2

Unfortunately not. Thanks anyway.

10. powells

powells Private E-2

Sorry Insomniac - last post was to Adrynalyne.

I had Windows Firewall installed (since SP2) but it actually wasn't enabled when I checked.

When I turned off NIS Personal Firewall I got quite a few intrusion attempts listed (via COMindico out of Canberra).

Still couldn't access the link though.

I'm getting some hard disk activity I don't like. Getting offline to do some scans.

11. icouldusehelp

icouldusehelp Private E-2

I have exactly the same problem with javascript:OpenWin not opening the link. I am running XP Pro, SP2, IE 6.0, and Norton Internet Security (2004). I started to notice the problem around the time I installed SP2. Is this a coincidence?

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You should have an option somewhere in Norton Internet Security for Anti-Spam, look there for ad blocking or something like that and turn it off.

That should solve the OpenWin problem and maybe the Hotmail issue.

Let us know.

Steve

13. Nisi

Nisi Private E-2

I was having the exact same problem with OpenWin. You can either turn off Ad Blocking in Norton or disable Norton's firewall entirely and use the Windows firewall instead. If someone has a better way please let me know because I'm not crazy about either of these options but I'm sick of these links not working.

14. icouldusehelp

Yup, turning off Norton Internet Security Ad Blocking did it! Sites with javascript:OpenWin('http://...') now works fine. Thanks. But is this the only solution? I knid of like the Ad Blocking feather.

15. icouldusehelp

Actually I found out that I only need to uncheck the "Turn on Popup Window Blocking" option within the "Ad Blocking" feature of Norton Internet Security.

16. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

That is good to know for future use. Thank's :)

Steve

17. powells

powells Private E-2

Thanks Nisi,

Looks like your tip helped the other guys out and confirmed the solution. I'll try it tonight.

18. powells

powells Private E-2

Thanks for following that up. I'll test it tonight. BTW - will AdAware take the place of the NIS ad/popup blocking option?

19. powells

powells Private E-2

Thanks Geeks,

That's got it sorted. How frustrating!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds