javaw and javaws

Discussion in 'Software' started by tm711, Sep 26, 2011.

1. tm711

tm711 Corporal

My computer is old and low on resources, and fires up slowly in the morning. But being bored I looked in Task Manager and saw that javaw.exe and javaws.exe were running, and seemed to be taking up a lot of resources. Maybe they have always been there and I just never noticed them. I googled and found some info.
    Both are located in System32. Properties look legitimate (sun microsystems etc).
    Both were scanned with Malwarebytes and Avira and no malware was found. The info I found refers to some "virtual machine" - whatever that is. As far as I know this is nothing I ever use or even have. So....
    1) Do I have something worry about here?
    2) What are these things?
    3) Can I get rid of them?
    4) Why were they running at startup?

I have XP home edition if this matters.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

javaw http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/i/javaw.exe.html
    You can stop it from loading at startup. (WinPatrol)
    For what it is worth, I have both javaw and javaws in my C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
    but neither process is running when I open my task manager. (running XP SP3)

Do not get rid of them! Some programs might need them. Just stop them from loading at startup. If a program needs java, it should know where to look.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds