jittery DVD video & sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EFG, Oct 10, 2004.

1. EFG

EFG Private E-2

Hardware: Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop Pentium II 196,080K total physical memory
    Software : Windows 2000, PowerDVD

DVD player originally, (when my bro gave me the machine), worked fine; I added a antivirus, firewall, spyware blaster.

Now the DVD is jittery and sound cuts out--synchronous with the drive light coming on.

Task Manager shows 74,500K memory still available with DVD running; CPU usage, though, hovers around 98-100%; the graph spikes are truncated at the top. Processes shows DVD using 95+% of the CPU.

There doesn't seem to be anything I can turn off to free up the CPU...

Any ideas about what caused the negative change, and how to resolve it?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Disable the antivirus and firewall while watching a DVD (and disconnect from the internet, for safety), since it worked better when it didn't have them.

3. EFG

EFG Private E-2

The thing is, I've tried those options, with no effeect on improving the playback. confusing!

4. bern

bern Sergeant

try updating your codecs

5. EFG

EFG Private E-2

Codecs is the dvd decoder?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds