joining .pdf files

Discussion in 'Software' started by fst-tlk, Apr 7, 2010.

1. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

Is it possible to join .pdf files together to form one document after scanning? I'm scanning a closed file (app. 500 pages). My HP scanner can only handle app. 150 pages at a time, so I'm having to make 4 documents. I'd like to be able to join them when I'm done so there's only 1 file. Any advice? Thx, Gini

2. nav_sta

nav_sta Private E-2

If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat:

Step 1 Open all the .pdf files you wish to merge. These can be minimized on your desktop as individual tabs.

Step 2 Pull up what you wish to be the first page of your merged document.

Step 3 Click the 'Combine Files' icon on the top left portion of the screen.

Step 4 The 'Combine Files' window that pops up is divided into three sections. The first section is titled, 'Choose the files you wish to combine'. Select the 'Add Open Files' option.

Step 5 Select the other open .pdf documents on your desktop when prompted.

Step 6 Rearrange the documents as you wish in the second window, titled, 'Arrange the files in the order you want them to appear in the new PDF'

Step 7 The final window, titled, 'Choose a file size and conversion setting' allows you to control the size of your merged PDF document. Consider the purpose of your new document. If its to be sent as an e-mail attachment, use a low size setting. If the PDF contains images or is to be used for presentation, choose a high setting. When finished, select 'Next'.

Step 8 A final choice: choose between either a single PDF document, or a PDF package, which comes with the option of creating a specialized cover sheet. When finished, hit 'Create', and save to your preferred location.

If you don't...then you can get a program that does that- just google it.

3. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still scanning :( Probably won't be ready to attempt this till this evening. I'll let you know how it works out. Gini

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I've used this for combining or splitting PDF's: http://www.pdfsam.org/. I've never worked such large PDF files as what you have so I don't know whether the size will cause a problem.

5. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I've saved it for future use. In the meantime, I've decided just to scan it in sections, "blahblahblah(1of6)," etc. Gini

6. rislyy

rislyy Private E-2

I cannot read it after joined together

7. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

I was afraid the document would be so huge it'd take a long time to load & maneuver around, but I didn't realize there'd be a problem reading it. Sounds like I made a wise decision to break it into 6 sections. Gini

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds