jpeg photos are messed up

Discussion in 'Software' started by scott75, Mar 27, 2014.

1. scott75

scott75 Private E-2

my photos are messed up like a jig saw in pieces, they look perfect in small thumbnail view but when trying to enlarge with photo viewer or any other programs paid or free they look messed up also tried a couple of paid jpeg repair programs and they all stop responding forcing me to close, any way how to make these pictures slightly bigger so they are easier to look at, the sd card with the photos came from a panasonic DMC-FS62 digital camera and they were also messed up the same on that too :-( please help, thanks.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Are these coming out of the camera like this? Have you tried viewing them on another computer?

Can you attach one of your files to a post so we can see what it looks like? (Use the Paperclip icon in the post reply screen and browse your computer that way for a file to attach if you're willing to do so)

If you right click on the file and click on Properties, what does it say the file size is?

Also, what operating system is your computer?

3. scott75

scott75 Private E-2

it says file size is 3.72mb jpeg format, i am using w7 x64 at the minute but have tried on xp x32 and still the same result, i have since removed them from sd card and put on my laptop in a folder, formatted sd card and put back in camera and its taking pictures fine, it semms they have become corrupted somehow, i have selected file to upload not sure if its worked just keeps saying uploading file please wait.

4. LauraR

So, just to be clear, you have tried uploading these photos to two different computers with the same result? (So you can open .jpg files from other sources okay on these computers?) That most likely means you have a bad SD card. That's the first thing I would try to change.

What method did you use to upload them? Did you take the card out and use a card reader or SD slot in your computer? Did you use a USB cord attached to your camera? If you used a USB, try switching cords. If you used a card reader, try another method.

As far as repairing your images, it sounds like you've tried repair software. Maybe someone else will pop in who has some ideas on that. I briefly looked up the issue and didn't see many promising things. If this is your issue, this is the only thing I found that gave some info:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/fix-corrupt-jpeg-photo.html
    The tool the guy uses: http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/fix-corrupt-jpeg-photo.html (no idea if it would work or not)

5. scott75

scott75 Private E-2

hi thanks for the help, i looked at jpeg snoop, it seems it would take some time to use as its manual editing of each picture and i have over 800 photos all messed up haha, i did use stella phoenix jpeg recovery and it repairs only around a dozen pictures then messes up with errors saying the program needs to close and that was paid software too :confused

6. LauraR

Ouch. That's rough. I've had a bad card where I lost a bunch of photos from a shoot, but nothing to that extent.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I hope you've bought a new SD card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds