Jumper pins in Replacement CD/DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m79vest36, Feb 2, 2009.

1. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

On my Dell XPS Windwos XP Pro....I have a floppy drive & a Sony Burner in Drive D & I've just replaced an old burner with a new Sony Dru-842 A burner. The Drive D Burner jumper pin is a SLAVE. But I noticed that the old drive I took out to be replaced with a new Sony burner has the jumper in the CSEL position. Can I make the Drive E burner ( the new one) the SLAVE as well? Or does the jumper has to be put in the CSEL position?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I would switch it to cable select (CSEL), why mess with what works? Slave would only be needed if you had two devices on the same ribbon.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you are putting 2 drives on the same cable, the drive on the end of the cable should be set to Master (the pins on the right) and will be drive D:, and the drive on the 2nd cable connector should be set to slave (the pins in the middle) and will be drive E:.

-OR-

Both drives can be set for Cable Select (CSEL - the pins on the left) and the PC will automatically assign the drives; the drive on the end of the cable will usually be designated first as the "master" (or drive D: in this situation) and the other drive would come up as the "slave", or drive E: in this situation.

If using only one drive, set it for master or CSel

4. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thanks guys for the answer. have a great day.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds