Just a comment about uTorrent

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Apr 9, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I've been using uTorrent for some time now and I've been fairly happy with it. Sometimes the downloads were incredibly slow, but I figured what the heck, that's the way it is. I was WRONG! I decided there must be something I could do to speed things up a bit. I went to Options > Speed Guide, and clicked on the 'Test my speed' or the 'test my port settings' or whatever it is. It turns out that I'd been downloading with poorly configured (or totally incorrectly configured) port and router. I learned about port forwarding and set up a static IP (versus a dynamic IP), and after I finally was able to wrap my swiss cheese-like brain around all of it, I made the appropriate changes to my TCP/IP and router. I restarted uTorrent, and what a difference!!! I guess all I'm saying is: if you're into downloading torrents (esp. with uTorrent), do yourself a HUGE favor and visit www.portforward.com and have the model number of your router ready. This site will walk you thru setting up a static IP and mapping a forwarded port to the static IP, therefore increasing your torrent download speeds. And I mean a VERY large increase in speed! I saw a jump of over 500%in general and over 1500% in some cases!!! Amazing!

hopperdave2000

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

yep i have been using utorrent for a while now and i had the same problem
    and now i reach speed to up 500 kb/s..... weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..... :)

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Nice tip hopperdave2000, I've used utorrent for a long time but port forwarding doesn't seem to work through my router but it does when connected straight to the modem. I'll try again.:)

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

When you installed utorrent it had a big configuration screen that came up and told you to check portfowarding and what not.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, but I don't have much networking knowledge to know what to do. Anyways, I redid the guide and found that I entered the wrong Static IP. :eek: lol, I go through these things too quickly! At least I know abit more now. Works nicely.:)

6. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Problem is not Upnp is disabled in router? Was in my old Netgear and I think also newer Linksys. Then you will get problems here and there unless you tinker. If enabled may be check for new firmware. 10 times easier with Upnp.

If you get more problems try cut those connection numbers in half. The Netgear router could not handle too much activity, simply stop sending (bsod I guess) - much better with lower numbers. Same download/upload speed.

Utorrent guy have made it easy to tweak - look at homepage http://www.utorrent.com/index.php especially Guides and FAQ.

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Oh yeah, let upnp poke random holes in my routers firewall, i like that idea.

8. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Dont believe all ghost stories and dont pass them on. There can be other problems with upnp depending on router/firmware (check utorrent forum), is also included in changelog for utorrent I think. But there is a reason it is enabled by default.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds