just a general driver question (hardware ID)

Discussion in 'Software' started by thomas_nuffan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. thomas_nuffan

thomas_nuffan Private First Class

As you all can see I'm new to this site and I'm grateful for all the help I've recieved with any questions I've had.

short story, I'm a computer tech for a local small business in my hometown. Graduated with an AS Degree in Computer Support 2 years ago (looking to going back) and am excited about the future.

I created this post because there are some "tricks" aparntly that aren't taught in school such as reading Hardware ID's for driver info.

So my main question is, how does one do that?

thanks!!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hardware ID's are the key, a copy of Craig Hart's pcidevs.txt (I've zipped one from 2005, site's now defunct but there maybe later versions around) for offline use and, of course, Google.

For anything unusual, the Linux drivers folks will often have the data to help you trace the maker and possibly a driver.

Attached Files:

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Online you might want check out here.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I forgot one more thing that I have used and that is the FCC id number. Sometimes I would come across a piece of hardware that just had the FCC id number and would have to use their database.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

FCC number is a great option to have to find hardware data as well as the aforementioned Hardware Ids, basically the easiest thing is to use a search engine to find what devices the code belongs too, sadly you will find a hell of alot of junk posts on the internet which wont answer your question as to what the Ids belongs too.

So use search operators to narrow down the field as they can allow you to search a specific site and speific text on that site some hints and tips HERE (2 parts to the guide)

If searching on hardware Ids then if their are multiple lines of text dont lump them all together, but do one line at a time, likely the bottom 1 or 2 are the ones that tend to work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds