Just a quick question about memory dividers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris avz, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Chris avz

Chris avz Private First Class

When i hear people talking about dividers it always baffles me as in my bios (using ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SKT 939 NVIDIA® nForce4 Ultra M/B) I dont have a divider!

All i have is a memory speed ddr400/ddr333/ddr266 and ddr200

I'm just wondering if this is the same thing as the divider?

Because at the moment im running my athlon 3000+ venice at 2.54Ghz with 282*9 with memory set to ddr266 with 3xHTT and there doesnt seem to be any problems, and i even scored an extra 20 points on 3d mark05 (8030) compared to when i had my athlon 3000+ venice at 2.37Ghz 262*9 at ddr333 reaching 8012 in 3dmark05

This is using 1GB of samsung ddr400 pc3200 ram, i get my G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 CAS2 Dual Channel Kit on friday :D Cant wait.

Any help appreciated thanks

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Yes exactly the same thing,the easiest way to think about it is your telling your computer you have put in ddr333 which will only run at 166mhz therefore it sets the memory to run at this speed 4\5 of the 200mhz front side bus the actual ratio is 83% of 200mhz,the same for drr 266 3\5 ' 66.5%' = 133mhz of 200mhz

If your still not quite sure feel free to ask :)

If you havnt already read this article do so its the best of its kind and suited to DFI boards

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  3. Chris avz

Yeah ive read most of that article, thankyou very much for that :)

Only thing that baffles me now is how i calculate what frequency my memory is running at!

"282*9 with memory set to ddr266"

Just had a quick look through that article and cant seem to find it so i'll have a look on more articles later but if you've got time and you know it could you please explain, thankyou!

4. Rikky

Sure no problem:)Right your fsb is at 282,with your memory devider set to 3\5 ddr266 so to work out the speed of the memory

3\5 expressed as a a decimal is 66.5% "its actually just 66% but 266\400=66.5" this means your memory is running at 66.5% of your FSB,

282 X 0.665 = 187.53 your currently underclocking your memory by 12mhz

The important numbers to remember are these,when your devider is set to 333=4\5 multiply your fsb by 0.83 to get your memory speed,at 266=3\5 multiply your fsb by 0.665 to work out your memory speed

ddr333 FSB X 0.82 = memory speed
    ddr266 FSB X 0.665 = memory speed

Make sense:confused: :)

5. Chris avz

yeah it does mate thankyou very much!!
    everest says its running at 182mhz so not much difference!

I get my G-skill today so im looking forward to see what performance that can handle!

6. Rikky

No problem a little mistake I made for anyone else reading which may confuse things 3\4 expressed as a decimal is 0.60 :rolleyes: If you multiply by 0.65 it will give you a more accurate result:)

7. Rikky

OMG I'v done it again 3\5 expressed as a decimal = 0.60 :rolleyes: I will now crawl away and die :rolleyes: :)

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds