Just a simple free USB encryption please!

Discussion in 'Software' started by motc7, Jan 21, 2011.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I tried using TrueCrypt, and open source or not, it's not userfriendly, and frankly doesn't work.

What I am looking for is the ability to encrypt USB drives, and be able to use them on other systems where the encryption software is not installed. I.E. standalone running. Basically I want the ability to insert the drive, have it recognized by windows, and when I double click it in Explorer, it prompts for the password I created.

With Truecrypt, I tried extracting the .exe file to the USB and creating a travel disk, but it never works. It formats and encrypts it, but when you double click it from Explorer, it wants to format it.

Any help is appreciated....I have cake.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I use TrueCrypt on a USB drive in traveler mode. The only drawback that I found was that you need to be in an admin account in order to use it because it installs a driver on the computer when you attach the USB

drive. When using traveler mode, you do not encrypt the whole drive but create a container with encrypted data that you mount with a password. I used the method shown here if you decide to use Truecrypt.

4. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Weay way way better than the help file. Thanks! Worked like a champ.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds