Just bought a new Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shang, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Shang

Shang Private E-2

Seagate (internal hard drive)
    120 GB
    Ultra ATA/100
    7200 RPM
    8 MB Cache

I had problems with my other hard drive, instead of reformatting and loosing info I just bought this new one... I only have a windows xp upgrade CD and I can't install windows on the new HD with that CD, so my questions are, is there anyway to install any version of windows so I can use my upgrade CD or can I like hook up my new HD as a master and the other as a slave and it will function properly?

Any suggestions? :)

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

as long as you have a previous OS CD you can install the upgrade.

You put in the upgrade CD, it will ask you for the CD of the previous OS so it can verify and then it will continue with the installation.

3. Shang

Shang Private E-2

I don't have the CD its an HP, it didn't come with one.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

ask a buddy with any windows and explain the situation

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

agreed. You have an upgrade license and you have an HP and they come with a license so you're free and clear to use any CD you wan to verify a previous OS.

6. Shang

Shang Private E-2

OK thx guys I'm gonna try to find a CD

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

Another victim of OEM's saving some money and their antipiracy 'precautions'.
    I hate them really; they take a hidden ~4gb partition to store the recovery data, so, you now have 4gb less space, and you dont have hte cds of hte programs youve paid for.
    Id just download a copy of windows XP, burn it, and use the cdkey that came with your computer. You still 'bought' XP, your just taking control of the software youve paid for.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds