Just Bought A New Msi Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joffa, Sep 29, 2016.

1. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I just bought this new MSI gaming laptop.
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products...rd-pro-17in-core-i7-gaming-notebook-6qf-465au
    I got it with an extra 8GB of RAM fitted for free (total 16GB) and they also knocked $100 off the price and they also gave me a laptop bag for free too. The bag is fairly crappy but it is well padded and will be OK for my old Dell laptop. I tried to get Win 10 Pro but they wouldn't chuck that in for free so I will see how Win 10 Home goes before I upgrade.
    The company I work for usually buys Toshiba but the biggest screen I could get was only 15.6" and I wanted bigger plus I wanted a lot more performance at a reasonable price. We have also had a couple of MSI laptops in our interstate office and they have been problem free . Based on our prior good experience with MSI and also the 2 year warranty is much better than the ASUS and Gigabyte offering with only a 12 month return to base warranty.

I am still setting things up but first impressions are it is much faster than my old Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 Special Edition Turbo Series. I will let you know how it is after a few days use :)

My old Dell http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Inspiron-17R-SE-7720-Notebook.80063.0.html is a few years old now and has done a lot of work and in the last two months has started to have serious intermittent overheating problems..... even after a good clean out with the compressor and then cleaning and replacing the thermal paste it still has the intermittent problem so now it sits on a notebook cooler base with 4 fans to keep it cool. I swapped over the battery with a new one but still the overheating problem occurs so I put the old battery back and conclude that there is an intermittent mobo problem. Also there are several keys on the keyboard that have stopped working, namely the the right, the left and the down arrow keys as well as the right side Alt key and the right side shift key. I use the numeric keypad for arrows now but the Alt and Shift keys are still a nuisance and because it is the Special Edition it has a different backlit keyboard that I can't find a direct replacement that is for sale in Australia. I will hang on to the Dell for a while as an emerency standby but its days are numbered :(

One other good thing I have already noticed about the MSI is that it is nearly 1kg lighter ;)

DavidGP likes this.
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey Joffa

Looks a neat laptop and specs really good, love the i7 CPU and the PCI-E SSD as thats a neat change over traditional SSD drives as can imagine takes up less space, which then allows other increased HW like better GPU.

Yeah do let us know how you get on with the new laptop and also I'm interested in what core apps you have installed and how they perform, as in Office, Security etc

joffa likes this.
  3. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Yeah Dave so far so good except for Win 10 but that is more me :rolleyes:..... I just don't like it and reckon it belongs on a phone :(
    This MSI laptop is certainly much faster than my Dell (which was very quick in its day) and the video is very sharp but the Nahimic audio is crap. It is clear enough but not very loud (through the laptop speakers) even with everything at full volume and I suppose it is OK if you only want to hear speech but it makes music sound hollow like it is being performed in a dunny and although playing with the music settings may fix the quirky reverb issue, it then creates more problems by changing the tonal character of the music. All my computer audio (regardless of which computer) always has an audiophile worthy setup so in this case I will go and buy an external 24bit USB Xonar sound card and dump the Nahimic rubbish.
    The 128GB SSD is going to go too and I will replace it with a 500GB PCI-E SSD as 128GB is way too small for me. I have already offloaded the desktop, downloads, my docs, my pics, my vids etc to the 1TB drive for now while I sus out the best SSD.... probably will be an Enterprise Samsung or Intel model...... currently interested in this http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard_Drives_&_SSDs/SSD_-_mSATA_&_m.2/60973-MZ-V5P512BW ..........now I am just trying to barter the price down as it is a bit dear.

Core stuff loaded
    Win 10 Home Premium (came with laptop will probably change to Pro)
    Teamviewer (3 channel site licence)
    Office 2013 (full retail licence)
    Foxit Phantom PDF for Small Business (company licence)
    Notepad ++
    @max SyncUp
    GetDataBack for NTFS and also for FAT
    Stellar Phoenix Outlook Suite of .pst recovery tools

ESET NOD32 (corporate site licence)
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot Search & Destroy (wondering if I really need this any more)
    Hitman Pro
    Rogue Killer (multiuser licence)
    CC Cleaner
    Unlocker
    Belarc Advisor
    MiTeC Network Scanner
    NetTraffic

Google Chrome
    AdBlock Plus
    Imageburn
    WinRAR 64bit Corporate Edition although for portable stuff I sometimes use 7 ZIP
    Virtual Clone Drive
    Exact Audio Copy
    Foobar 2000
    VLC Player
    XMedia Recode

There are lots of other utilities that I use but only load these up when needed as they are quite often hardware brand specific or they are things you might use once or twice a year.

I will review after running it a couple of weeks and let you know if I changed up to Win 10 Pro and more importantly how it is performing ;)

BTW the "Killer Networking" as MSI calls it, is really fast and when time permits I will do some tests later but it seems like wi fi is now about the speed of a 1Gb/s wired connection...... mind you I do have a great AC3100 router
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wireless/Routers/61376-RT-AC88U ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds