Just defragged with Auslogics app for 1st time & have now lost 9GB free space!

Discussion in 'Software' started by icekool, Jan 28, 2010.

1. icekool

icekool Private E-2

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be very grateful.

Basically, I have just used Auslogics Disk Defrag app for the first time and it defragged the hd fine from 2% to 0% fragmented but I now have 9GB less free space:confused

Usually when there is a sudden loss of free space it is a 'restore point' or similar and I delete it with CCleaner or Windows Disk Cleanup, but there is no recent restore point and I can't see any large log file in the Auslogics folder, does anyone know what this could be?

(Win Vista Home Basic 32 bit, latest version and updates etc.)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not noticed that before with Auslogic defrag, have you rebooted and checked disk size again?

3. icekool

icekool Private E-2

Hi Halo, thanks very much for your reply, yes I have tried that a few times, this actually happened yesterday so the pc was off all night and still shows the same space loss, ie. C is 222GB with 187GB free, it was 196GB free before the defrag.

I have really racked my brain as to what this can be as there are no auto backups or anything else similar going on at all.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

One problem with the PC is that you could have any number of programs running, including Windows itself generating a log file. If your short on space, you might try some drive monitoring programs that show your drive ina graph to try and find the space. Or, defrag about 20 more times and if your out of space, then it would be the defrag program :) Seriously though, it just arranges blocks, I have never heard of this with a defrag program.

5. icekool

icekool Private E-2

Hi Major, I checked for any other running processes and also old & new log files also temp files etc...also cleaned out stuff with CCleaner but no joy.

However, I just uninstalled the app with Revo Uninstaller and now the space is back! all 9GB !!

Thanks for your suggestions above folks, lesson learnt for me is, NEVER use Auslogics Defrag!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that with the "move system files to the fastest part of the disk" option enabled it somehow might not be cleaning up after this movement so to speak and thus maybe it's leaving a footprint behind of where the system files were before moving.......or something like that, I dont know but I will NOT be trying Auslogic again after fretting all afternoon about it.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

I've tried it and threw Auslogics out. :-D

I did a boot defrag and a regular defrag (with Optimizer included) in Puran. Afterwards I "analyzed" in Windows own Defrag Window. Got the most pleasant shock of my life; I've NEVER seen this solid blue block of files packed together. :drool The blue little blocks were always spread out all over the place regardless of the defraggers I tried.

This one is the BEST in my view. :celebrate

Thanks MA

PS: Wished I had taken a pic of Windows Defrag window prior to defragging with Puran!

Attached Files:

8. chronk

chronk Private E-2

I was just searching for a good Defrag tool -
    Was about to use Auslogics - then I looked here.
    Glad I did!
    Will try Puran.

Thanks,

Major Attitude
    ;)

9. shorttex

shorttex Private E-2

Oooops... I was going to try this Auslogics, too - on an older computer traded in for slowth. Was just looking to see how badly fragged it was. Installed Auslogics and ran the "analyze" to see the fragging... and it (the Auslogics) crashes, every time (tried three just to make sure, even rebooted just in case). Thought I oughta check geekstories and found this thread. No Auslogics for me. Thanks to all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds