Just got 132gb of 320gb harddisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tolonen, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Tolonen

Tolonen Private E-2

Hello.
    I had to change my hd to a newer one and thougt that i could reinstall my windows xp at the same time to get a faster computer but when i boot up xp from cd and start instalation the partition only is 131gb but harddrive is 320gb (STM3320820A). I dont know what to do. Before i put the new hd in i had one 160gb+one 80gb disc.

Anyone having a clue?

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

You say the partition is 131 GB, is there another partition that is 190GB or is there 190GB of unnalocated space?

And to be sure, you should list your hard drive (HDD) configuration before and after the switch. When I mean configuration, I mean number of hard drives and how they were partitioned.

3. Tolonen

Tolonen Private E-2

Yes, unlocated space, i just read on seagates webpage that xp must have at least sp1 to work with hdd over 137 gb. I download it at the moment and will check in manage after.

segate says:

f it does not say "Service Pack 1" or greater, an upgrade is required to support drives larger than 137GB.
    After Verifying Service Pack 1 or greater is Installed

You now have several options in order to recover the remaining space on the drive.

If the new drive is the boot drive:

* Restart the installation with the appropriately patched operating system.
    * You may use a 3rd party "partition stretch utility."
    * You may also create a 2nd partition on the boot drive with Windows Disk Management, to have more than one partition on the drive.

I will post back as soon i tryed this.

/Tolonen

4. Tolonen

Tolonen Private E-2

Nice, in manage i now can se that Disc 01 is 298,09gb. Is any good freeware 3rd party "partition stretch utility." ??

5. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi Tolonen,

Why would you need a "partition stretch utility" if the drive is reporting that you have 298.09GB of space? That is the full HD capacity. This is taking into account the allocation tables and all. You'll never see the entire 320GB of the drive.

6. Tolonen

Tolonen Private E-2

I can se that hdd volume is 300gb but partition is only 131gb so i have to make this (only partition) bigger.

7. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Do you want full 320 gb on one partition?
    When install xp get you to the window were you can see the c partition and the unlocated space,press D to delete c:,enter ,and L.Now you have 320gb unlocated space,and you can create what ever size you want,by pressing C,followed by how much space do you want for C:.
    I hope this help.

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Easeus partition manager should be able to add the free space to the main partition. Use Move/Resize.

9. Tolonen

Tolonen Private E-2

Thanks for all help, Easeus Partition Manager 3.0 worked fine.

/Tolonen

:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds