Just joined.....IP help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Babyangellisatt, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Babyangellisatt

Babyangellisatt Private E-2

Hey guys,
    Just want to say........ you guys doing a real dread job.I am impressed......keep it coming.

Ok I am running Windows ME......using Zone Alarm, Norton Utilities..... Why? Cause I plan on upgrading soon..........Anyway how do you prevent your IP address from showing up in forums?
    Someone I know is a moderator for a site I want to join..........but the last thing I want is him getting a hold of my IP address.
    Another thing........if you're a guest on a forum...........haven't posted anything yet but just checking out the site and forum...... is your IP address visible......if so what can you do?

Thanks guys.
    Hope you're a friendly bunch.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The best you can hope for is a dynamic IP address and a proxy server (through another server so it makes it more difficult to trace).

What sort of internet account do you have, dial up or broadband?

Dial up is usually dynamic, meaning every time you dial up you get issued a different IP address.

Broadband can be either dynamic or static (same address), so you will need to check with your provider and see if they can change it for you.

You can check your IP by clicking HERE.

Although using a dynamic address and a proxy server makes it far more difficult to trace an address, it's not foolproof.

3. Babyangellisatt

Hi,
    Its dial up...............thanks for the quick response.

Babyangel.

4. Insomniac

Well with dial up as I stated you will be assigned a new address every time you dial in.

If you are still worried, you can use a proxy server, but with dial up that can slow things down.

Personally I don't think it's worth the effort, but that's obviously your call.

5. Babyangellisatt

Again.........thanks...........INSOMNIAC............

Your knowledge gave me food for thought.

Babyangel.

6. Insomniac

No problems, you're welcome. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds