Just reformatted, need drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by jkman, Apr 30, 2010.

1. jkman

jkman Private E-2

I just reformatted my hard drive and installed windows XP. I used to have a folder with all of the driver downloads in it but I forgot to save it on my flash drive and it got deleted. I don't know where to get them or what to download. My computer is a dell dimension 4600 and I actually found this site:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600

But then again, I don't know what I need to download. I went to device manager and this is what it's not detecting:

Ethernet Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    PCI Simple Communications Controller
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I'm not that computer Savvy so I was wondering if you guys could help. Thanks!

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you download and use this simple program, it will tell you if you have ati, or, invidia etc: parts, and help you to know the missing driver
    http://majorgeeks.com/Belarc_Advisor_d1385.html

I would download the chipset driver, and then any others

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

Do this one first:
    Chipset
    SM Bus Controller http://support.dell.com/support/dow...&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=70069

This is your LAN driver:
    Ethernet Controller http://support.dell.com/support/dow...&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=87106

PCI Simple Communications Controller - This is your modem, the driver is listed under Communications on the page you provided, but you will need to use belarc to decide which one you have on your computer. there are 2 options, Conexant or intel.

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - This is listed under video, and there are 2 options, ATI or Intel. Again, use belarc to find out which one it is.

Multimedia Audio Controller - This is your sound card. It's listed under Audio. You have a couple of choices, ADI, and 3 from creative. If belarc reports anything other than creative, choose ADI.

You might get a more specific list of drivers if you are able to provide a service tag # to dell when looking up drivers. There's usually a sticker on the side/back or bottom of the computer with the service tag on it.

4. jkman

jkman Private E-2

OK, I downloaded belarc and ran the analysis. The problem is that it couldn't tell me if the video was ATI or Intel or if the sound was ADI or Creative. It says detected none under display and multimedia. I entered my service tag into the dell website and it just directed me to the page i linked before.

But, I was able to get my network and PCI Communications drive installed and working (as i'm now posting from the formatted computer). However this probably caused my second problem as when I went to install the SM bus controller (chipset), it freezes at 15%. I read the readme and it said it was recommended that the chipset should be installed before any other drivers. Then when I try to uninstall the network and communications drivers, it freezes up and I have to execute the application.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

That was why I suggested it-, and as there is only the one............"I would download the chipset driver, and then any others
    Yesterday 20:35 "
    If it was me, after having these problems over the years , I would save all the drivers to a usb stik, or cd, and start again----------
    However, before I did , I would try the drivers, and see which one worked, so as to know which one to install, when re-installing- I have done that several times , and it does give you a less troublesome configuration, when re-installed.
    However, a simpler way, now that you are up and running is to go to www.driveragent.com, while you have the present situation, and let it scan your system, and take a note of the drivers it says are missing, and it will say if its ATI, OR, NVIDIA, -write them down, then go back to Dell, and download the ones you need - no need to join driveragent- save your pennies.
    Ther are driver detective programs , probably on majorgeeks downloads, for free, but I have never needed to use them, so I am loath to point out any.:)

6. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Yea heh, I might have skimmed over that part = /

I saved the working drivers before but either I lost the folder somewhere or it got deleted during installation. Maybe both. But I did start doing this as I found the drivers.

But what about the chipset driver? It keeps freezing at 15%. Should I just reformat again?

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

My fault, I should have made it more noticable, I would start again, if it was me- easier in the long run- but do what I said, as Balarc did not specify ATI, OR, NVIDIA- get the driver information from www.driveragent.com (its a small download to look into your system- before reformatting.:)

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  8. jkman

jkman Private E-2

That's another thing too, Belarc nor driveragent could tell me what you guys are asking about. I know for a fact that my video card is Nvidia GeForce from looking at the video card. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place?

9. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Ok, I managed to get all necessary drivers installed. Thank you guys!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds