Just Used Boot And Nuke

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vikingman4456, May 23, 2008.

1. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

I have a dell demiension 4550 which I just used boot and nuke on. I then tried to reinstall windows xp and it wont do anything. Yes I do have the installation disc that came with the unit along with the driver utility disc. I also have the tools disc which I dont really want to install. So what am I forgetting to do here?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What error are you getting? Do you have it set to boot from the CD drive first?

E

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you have an installation disk from the maker of the computer, rather than a Microsoft Windows disk, you are not going to be able to install with that disk.
    The restore/recovery disks that come with computers are based on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Most of the set up files are there. If you wiped that partition, then the restore/recovery disk can't get the information it needs.

Also did you format the disk after you nuked it? I don't think windows will install to an unformatted hd because it won't see the hd.

4. Vikingman4456

Ok I wasnt getting any error messages and yes I have tried to set the different boot sequences. Ok plodr that explains why the restore recovery disc will not work and as for formatting no I have not that done that as of yet. Since I cannot get the unit to do anything I cannot format can I ? I did download the six floppy disc for xp home boot up and yes the service pack matches the reinstallation cd that came with the unit. I even tried to use my original windows xp home disc and I cannot get no where with that so at this point I'm kinda stuck.

5. Vikingman4456

Well I dont know what went on but I tried everything again and yes I now have my windows xp installed. I can remember one other incident when this happend to me and I wasnt able to explain it then either,so problem is takin care of and thanks for the assist.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think Dell includes the full installation disk (it doesn't use a recovery partition). You should be ok for software. So your problem is that your disk is not booting. What format did you use for Boot and Nuke (floppy or cd?).

Dell ships with boot sequence of hd first. So I would double check that you have indeed set it to CD (after floppy(A: ) if you have one) and before HD.

Edit: Glad you got it sorted :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds