Karen's Replicator

Discussion in 'Software' started by LynnW, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynnW

LynnW Private E-2

I've used Karen's faithfully for more years than I can count. Never, ever a problem. Saved my butt quite a few times when various computers have crashed. Started having an interesting problem a couple days ago. My 5 backups are set to run at night. First thing every morning, I check to make sure all was backed up safely. Monday I get this error message:
    4/17/2017 12:05:53 AM: Error: Could Not Open Destination File (Error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.): E:\My Docs 916\Web UP here PTA\41417\_wp_generated\wp947d2c09.gif
    4/17/2017 12:05:56 AM: Error: Could Not Open Destination File (Error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.): E:\My Docs 916\Web UP here PTA\41417\_wp_generated\wp94f0d075.gif
    4/17/2017 12:05:59 AM: Error: Could Not Open Destination File (Error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.): E:\My Docs 916\Web UP here PTA\41417\_wp_generated\wp96845142.gif
    4/17/2017 12:06:02 AM: Error: Could Not Open Destination File (Error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.): E:\My Docs 916\Web UP here PTA\41417\_wp_generated\wp9cbce115.gif
    4/17/2017 12:06:05 AM: Error: Could Not Open Destination File (Error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.): E:\My Docs 916\Web UP here PTA\41417\_wp_generated\wpadbfa473.gif
    Over 1,000 times! Check, make sure the folder is still on my external hard drive. Restart external, restart pc, etc. All the things you do. Try again, same error messages. Create a new folder. Same errors. Notice the folders aren't being copied into the new folder. So I manually copy and paste them, making sure all the backed up info comes with. Still no luck. Okay, since this was my Chrome backup, figure it'll be okay, after all, I can access all my Chrome info without my backup. So, this morning, it's happening with my "My Documents" folder. Same error messages, can't find path. Created new folder on my external, errors still. No folders being copied. Restart everything again, scan external for possible problems. Google it. Find this forum! lol. Hoping someone can shed some light. I read thru an older thread which is now closed (thus me starting a new thread). I tried everything suggested there. Any thoughts? I'm running Windows10. I've never had this type of problem before using Karen's. In fact, I swear by it. I know how old it is, but it's always been so reliable. Help?
    Thanks!
    Lynn

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If your Win 10 OS was updated to version 1703 build 15063.138, you may need to uninstall/reinstall Karen's Replicator. My computers were updated to version 1703 and I had to update one of my apps to the LATEST version to get it working again.

If uninstalling/re-installing doesn't work, you may be out of luck with Karen's (if there haven't been any updates for it in a while).

3. LynnW

LynnW Private E-2

I just checked and I'm on v1607, build 14393.1066. This morning I had 5,000+ failures for the MyDocs backup. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling. This isn't looking good :-(
    It's odd because 3 of the folders backed up just fine, no errors, no failures.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi, LynnW

Me too. Been using it for years. Had trouble with just a couple of files a few days before the update.
    Now, I'm having the same errors that you describe.
    Now using Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.138. This was not an update.
    I did a clean install GPT UEFI. The OS is running OK. System File Checker (sfc) showed no errors.

Replicator now fails to make new folders when needed at the target location.
    Also, there are certain types of files that it now can not copy, that it was able to copy before.

Example:
    It would not copy the Pale Moon profile. It was a new install profile that had never been copied.
    I created a new folder at the target location with the profile name.
    When I ran Replicator again, it very quickly copied all of the files in the profile parent folder,
    but then nothing else. I created the rest of the folders but still some files could not be copied.

At the top of the Replicator-log.txt file, there are three lines of formatting stuff that should not be there.
    Also, from that point on, every line ends with \pro, sometimes with three leading backslashes.
    I looked at the file with a HEX editor, but that did not help.

I uninstalled Replicator, downloaded a new copy of the installer and reinstalled with different compatibility settings and administrator rights for the installer. There were no errors or anything unusual with the install process.
    Also tried compatibility setting for Windows 7 and then Windows XP SP3 with administrator rights on the application file.

Nothing I did resolved the problems. Karen's Replicator no longer works with the latest version of Windows.

I'm sure that the application is OK. These problems are definitely caused by something new/different in the latest version of Windows. If Microsoft gets enough complaints about older software suddenly not working, they may try to resolve the issues. Unfortunately, I think that is not likely.

I have been looking for an alternative to Karen's Replicator.
    Based on some reviews I've just seen, a promising replacement could be Personal Backup.
    It is fully mature and still in active development.

Download:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/personal_backup.html

Some reviews:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-pc-backup-software

One reviewer claimed that (an earlier version of) Personal Backup has some issues with long paths, but that has been resolved. There was an earlier thread at MajorGeeks Forums about Replicator failing due to very long path names.

From the developer's web site:
    http://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/index-e.html

5. LynnW

LynnW Private E-2

Hi MJNC,
    Odd thing is, there's 3 files it's still copying fine. Wonder why that is.
    Your post breaks my heart about not being able to use Karen's any longer!! Have you had a chance to try Personal Backup out yet?

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

No, not yet.

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Another vote here for SyncBack Free

9. LynnW

LynnW Private E-2

Well, I downloaded SyncBack Free and so far so good. I got 5 good backups. :)

10. petov

petov Private E-2

I've experienced the same problem with Karen's Replicator since last week on two machines, both running Windows 10 64bit. I've tried some of the alternatives suggested but don't get on with any of them as well as K'sR.
    HOWEVER I've just tried Karen's Replicator again and now it works! I put a couple of test files on my drives and ran it again just to make sure and it worked without errors again!
    I will monitor it's behavior over the next few days and report back if it stops working.

11. LynnW

LynnW Private E-2

Yes, please keep us updated. This is very curious! I did just reinstall it and try to do a backup, but got the same failures as before.

12. firefly2560

firefly2560 Private E-2

Another user who is disappointed about the loss of Karen's Replicator. I'm running Windows 10, Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393. Karen's Replicator fails with "Error: Could Not Open Destination File (Error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.): H:\Foldername\Filename". So far, it hasn't fixed itself.

You aren't likely to get any response for an update for Karens' Replicator. The author, Karen Kenworthy died a few years back. She did originally publish the source code, but I don't think it's available now. In any event, it was written in VB6, and updating it to VB.Net would be a major job. I'll be looking for a replacement that includes command-line options. I use a script with checkboxes to select the job I need, then call Karens Replicator and pass the name of the corresponding job as a command line parameter.

13. petov

petov Private E-2

It seem Replicator will copy files from source to target if the corresponding folder already exists in the target, however it has lost the ability to create or delete folders in the target drive. I tried few more tests and this seems to be the case. When I previously got error free backups it was because the folder into which the files were being copied already existed on the target drive. If you manually created the required folders in the target drive files will be backed up to it OK, however that defeats the object of using replicator software.

14. esman01

esman01 Private E-2

I'm having the same problem involving backing up new hidden honeypot folders and files created by Cybereason's RansomFree anti-ransomware program. Just started after their latest update, but issues identified in this thread might be real issue. My PC has Windows 10 Pro OS Build 14393.1066. If Windows issue, hope MS fixes.

15. Bill H

Bill H Private E-2

Same problem here. Won't create new folders or delete discarded folders. Windows 10, 64 bit, Version 1607, Build 14393.1066. Please, if anyone finds something that runs as simply and quickly as Karen's, please post here. Thanks.

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Welcome to Major Geeks.

You wont find an exact replacement but if you read all the posts above in this thread other programs are suggested.

17. Bill H

Bill H Private E-2

I've been looking at several since my post. The main option I want is when the initial backup is complete is that the program works like Karen's where it will only backup those files that have been modified. In other words if the source file is newer than the backup, the sizes are different, and/or if the source has been changed since the time of the last backup. Also want to delete files/folders from the backup destination if it's been deleted from the source.

It seems like all I've looked at backs up entire folder/file every time. I've got almost a 100 GB of data and don't want to backup all that every day - just sync what's been changed.

Thanks

18. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi Bill.

Those options are available in any good up to date file backup program.

Those options and more are provided in SyncBack Free.
    Based on reading the Features notes for Personal Backup, it will do the same.

SyncBack Free
    SyncBack: Decisions - Files
    https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/help/decisionsfiles.htm

SyncBack: Decisions - Folders
    https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/help/decisionsfolders.htm

Personal Backup: FAQ
    http://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/index-e.html

P.S. - Replicator Problems
    I'm thinking there may be a driver problem with this Windows Update.

Immediately after I finished the fresh install of 1703, none of the additional drives in my machine were listed or detected by Windows. The hardware connections were OK and they all registered properly in the motherboard UEFI.

When I ran ran the Troubleshooter, driver problems were found and new drivers were downloaded and installed.
    After a restart, all of the drives were detected. That has never happened before.
    So, maybe there are still some driver issues and those are causing these file errors.

19. Bill H

Bill H Private E-2

Great. I'll check them out.

Since the problem started right after my last update, I thought about a driver problem (after first thinking it was hardware). Since Windows 10, I've just been going with the flow and letting Windows update everything automatically. On the chance it is a driver problem, maybe it will get corrected later. In the meantime I'll check out the 2 you mentioned.

Thanks

20. Earthling

When considering backup options it's worth taking time out to study what is available in Windows. In 8.1 and 10 it's called File History and in Win 7 it's called Previous Versions, but as there are differences between all three versions it's really only worth looking at in Win 10. I wouldn't recommend it as the primary backup system as third party apps are superior for that, but if you have spare backup capacity you might as well take advantage of it. In Win 10 it's very flexible as to what gets backed up, how often, and where.

21. firefly2560

firefly2560 Private E-2

I tried SyncBack Free, but found that the reports were very unwieldy. There was a lot of unwanted information, and because they are in HTML they take up a full screen. I've had a lot more success with Personal Backup 5. If you select Log File - Long, the reports are very similar to the ones from Karens Replicator, and are simple text files. You can do everything with selecting files just like Karen's so that only files that are changed get backed up. There is also a facility to do, for example, just Documents, and create a desktop shortcut to run it.

I also had to reinstall Windows 10 over the weekend. After the first installation Karens Replicator ran perfectly, but it failed again as soon as the Windows 10 updates came through. So it's a WIndows 10 problem, and probably not related to drivers.

22. Earthling

Those choices are all present in SyncBack Free and your backups can also be set to run to a schedule. I've used it without issues for years though I'm not mad about the user interface.

23. firefly2560

firefly2560 Private E-2

I'm not keen on the interface either. That's why I'm going with Personal backup. I actually run Karens Replicator from a VBS script. I show a dialog box with a series of Checkboxes ('Back up Documents', 'Back up Downloads folder' and so on). For each of these I have a corresponding 'Job' which has been set up in Karens Replicator. I call each job in turn using a command-line parameter. I can do this with SyncBack, but it's easier and neater with Personal Backup.

I tried another approach with Karens Replicator. I tried 'Compatibility Mode', initially setting it at 'Windows XP'. It didn't work, and the Troubleshooter suggested Windows 7. That didn't work either, so I went back to 'Windows 98/WIndows Me' and also clicked on 'Run as administrator'. Still doen't work, so at this stage I don't have a solution. I'm reporting it here in case anyone else thinks of trying it.

24. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

OK. Already tried that - see post #4

25. firefly2560

firefly2560 Private E-2

Missed that one! Thanks.

26. firefly2560

firefly2560 Private E-2

I thought this had finished. Nobody's going to come up with an answer.... Until I needed to do a full backup of my wife's PC. The backup is done to a network drive instead of a local one. Karen's Replicator had no trouble creating new folders on the remote drive, even though it couldn't create the same folders on one of the local drives. Maybe it will work on local drives if the network name is used instead. I'll report back if it does.

27. AquaKeys

AquaKeys Private E-2

After a Windows 10 update a couple of months ago,
    Karen's replicator stopped creating non-existing
    destination folders.

I tested a few alternatives, and I have been
    more than happy with what is properly known as...

FreeFileSync.

(Note/Warning: I 'highly' recommend deselecting
    the checkbox for "LottaDeals" when that installation
    screen presents inself to you.)

The following is a copy of the 2017.04.19 email
    I sent to my son, slightly ammended where noted
    to reflect my 2-months of experience.

(2017.05.13)
    Karen errors from old log:
    "Could Not Open Destination File"
    "The system cannot find the path specified."

=== === ===

FreeFileSync - Folder backup to replace Karen's Replicator

===

FreeFileSync: I friggin love it-- mucho--
    and it is bloody quick.

---

Tried everything to get Karen to work, but to no avail.

Extensive research, and I found new
    free-for-private-use substitute.
    (Same full-blown version as commercial license)

----

Download:

(Note/Warning: {repeated} I 'highly' recommend
    deselecting the checkbox for "LottaDeals"
    when that installation screen presents inself
    to you.)

See heading:
    Download FreeFileSync

See download:
    Download FreeFileSync 9.0 Windows Setup

File:
    FreeFileSync_9.0_Windows_Setup.exe
    (v 9.0.0.0)

---

Using:

Any one 'task' can be any number of folders,
    and I have eight different task sets saved,
    having saved each as both the 'GUI'
    and the 'Batch' options for each task set.

*.ffs_gui
    and/or
    *.ffs_batch

(* 2017.05.13 - As it turns out,
    I only ever really use the 'Batch' files.
    I have all the *.ffs_batch files in a single folder;
    and I have 2 shortcuts to that folder:
    One on my desktop, and one in my 'Startup' folder,...
    C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\
    Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    ...so that 'that' folder pops up upon system restart,
    to remind me. (as if I needed reminding...
    ~Mr. 'live-and-learn' Now half-Paranoid :eek:)

---

First of 2 option changes

Mirror (not 2-Way) synchronization

In the top-right corner of the program window,
    the default 'Synchronize' option is "2-way" sync,
    but I am using 'Mirror' for everything,
    because that is the one-way backup.

---

Second of 2 option changes

Permanently delete files

(Do Not send to recycle bin)

The only other option I changed
    is done via the 'gear icon'
    in front of the top-right "Synchronize ... " button,
    and that option I changed is under the heading 'Delete files'
    which I changed from the default of "Recycle bin"
    to "Permanent".

---

Log files (if you care)

(* 2017.05.13 - I never actually look at log files,
    as I had habitually done with Karen,
    since FreeFileSnyc prompts me with every potential 'error',
    of non-existing 'source' folder, major changes of source,
    files locked by other processes (Firefox, Tixati...),
    etc.)

As best I can tell,
    (2017.05.13 - I never took time to properly check)
    log files are not generated when using the GUI,
    only when using Batch files,
    though you have to manually select
    the option to create log files,
    and specify a location at one point during the
    "Save as Batch job..." process.
    (fifth icon, top-left of main program window)

---

Saving individual files (if you care)

I thought I saw the ability to
    "save individual files only" somewhere
    instead of / in addition to folders,
    but maybe that was with one of the other
    3 backup programs I tried
    before I found FreeFileSync...
    ...not that I would use the single-file saving,
    and yet, you might,
    but I can not seem to find that option at a glance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
  28. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

@AquaKeys
    SourceForge stopped hosting that program in January this year. SF also report that the program's third party installer programs have not been scanned. Also Firefox and Comodo DNS server classes that website as having no valid security certificate and so block it.

29. sjohnson

sjohnson Private E-2

I was setting up Karen's Replicator on one of our many machines when "Error 76, path not found" popped up. In researching this, I discovered the problem was the program apparently can't write the path to 2 needed locations in Win 10 on this machine, although other Win 10 machines, even with later builds, have worked fine. Clicking on the "about" option in Karen will provide you with the needed path for both locations. After manually creating those paths, Karen was back to working again. Note that I usually set up the destination folders and path to our NAS unit before setting up individual jobs in Karen, so destination paths have been setup in advance. Hopefully this will help those who suddenly have Error 76 issues. While I have multiple machines using both WIN7 and WIN10 with Karen functioning perfectly, only this one machine threw the error. WIN 10 Pro, version 1607, build 14393.1198

30. Richard (Australia)

Richard (Australia) Private E-2

I had the same problem as the Original Poster, apparently triggered by a Windows 10 update.

The problem arose when replicating from one drive (D: ) to another drive ( Z: ) on my PC.

I noticed that Karen's Replicator continues to have no problem replicating to my NAS - for which I specified the full destination network address in Replicator - e.g. \\192.168.1.2\Backups\My Documents\

So I set a fixed network address for my PC (being 192.168.1.15) and entered the full network address in Replicator for the destination folder on the Z: drive - e.g. \\192.168.1.15\Z$\Backups\My Documents\

Replicator is now working again.

31. MartinC44

MartinC44 Private E-2

Richard,

Many thanks for this solution which has worked for me too. I'm very pleased to be able to continue to use Replicator having done so for many years.

32. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

This thread has been resolved and it is now locked.

plodr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds